QSC K12's vs JBL PRX712's

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by big jilm, Feb 11, 2015.

1. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

Hey, all -

Well, I am still on the quest. Is there any reason to choose the JBL's over the QSC's, or vice-versa?

Whichever pair I get, I will be adding the appropriate sub in a few months.

Thoughts?

Many thanks!

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I just A/B'd those two. The QSC sounded much more natural and pleasing to my ear. The JBL sounded much more mid-focused and nasally. The JBL has a 90 degree dispersion in the horizontal plane, the QSC has a 75% dispersion. I bought the QSC.

3. 335guy

335guy Member

Looking at the published specs:

JBL max SPL=135db
    QSC max SPL=131db

JBL=wood ply cabinets
    QSC= ABS plastic cabinets

JBL= 42.5 lbs
    QSC= 41 lbs

JBL=90 degrees x50 degrees coverage
    QSC=75 degrees conical coverage

Both have M10 rigging points

JBL warranty= 5 yrs (The warranty on JBL Professional loudspeaker products (except for enclosures) remains in effect for five years from the date of the first consumer purchase)

QSC warranty= 3 yrs (The Warranty Period is the greater of (i) three (3) years from the date of purchase, or (ii) the maximum period required under the local laws where the QSC Product is purchased.)

JBL made in Mexico
    QSC made in China

JBL current MAP price=$849
    QSC current MAP price=$799

For all practical purposes, both speakers are very similar. They do sound a little different. The JBl's have a wider coverage than the QSC K12's ( the K10's and K8's have different coverage ) JBL claims 4db more output and greater wattage, but I don't put lots of stock in these claims. Both speakers will get plenty loud and clear for their intended purpose.

Let your ears be your guide and choose the model the sounds best to you. Try to audition both of them side by side.

4. Moxsam

Moxsam Member

Is wider coverage generally better? Do speakers with narrower coverage throw farther?

Two things I get confused about.

5. kennybro

kennybro Member

That's tough one. Both are great sounding speakers. I do like the wider cover angle and longer warranty of the JBL. And I think I'd rather buy things from Mexico than China.

6. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

1: depends on your application
    2: given the same power and efficiency yes.

7. big jilm

Thanks for all the good information, everyone! Very nice stuff, 335 Guy - I appreciate it.

It boils down to these two, I think. If my Taylor sells today, I'm going shopping this weekend, I think!

Thanks again!

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

What criteria did you use to narrow it down to these two speakers? Have you considered other speakers in that price range?

9. sants

sants Supporting Member

Qsc's warranty is 6 years when the product is registered.

I'm going to be picking up some qsc k12's or yamaha dxr12's. It depends on what price I can work out.

10. big jilm

The only criteria I have used to narrow it down is price, and the fact I have used QSC's in a band before. I liked them fine - the JBL's are because Proaudiostar carries them, and they seem to give good deals.

11. RCM78

RCM78 Member

You can't go wrong with either product.

I have the 715's and 712's along with 718XLF subs. When playing break music I notch out a bit of 250k and 500k. I also set the high cut at 18k. The clarity with mild EQ is impressive and I push these pretty hard.

12. big jilm

Great! Thanks for the info.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I was just curious because the DSRs are in that price range, have a 7 year warranty and IMO sound better than the K12s.

14. big jilm

I'll tell you - I can only do so much research. I read good and bad about everything. I'm gonna pick up a set of K12's tomorrow or Saturday. I appreciate all the good advice!

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

You will like the K12s.

16. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

they are both pretty close, it's hard for one major MFR to just completely outdo another one at roughly the same price point on a hardware item (no gui or a-d converters)
    A note, I would not completely trust either one of these guys specs in terms of wattage or DB output, you can get very creative (just like in politics) about what part of the spec you choose to publish. The know that the consumer who is buying just on watts or db specs will often be drawn to the highest one, which says almost nothing about sound quality or for that matter about how loud it will get without noticeable distortion. Not long ago a guy told me he had a new 10,000 watt sound system and that he just wanted me to run the system, but not rent any of my gear. When I found out what he had it was a lot closer to 1,000 watts. Sometimes when I am working with a new client on rentals and I know they are a band, they will ask how many watts my system is. I know how much mine is rated, but I often say jokingly it's about 2 million music store watts.