QSC KW Series

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ckdhaven, Feb 29, 2012.

1. ckdhaven

ckdhaven Member

Anyone out there using the QSC KW series powered loudspeakers?

I was looking at a package deal with 2 KW153 main and the KW181 sub from Musicians Friend...

We mostly play "the bar scene" and thought this would be a great fit for a 4 piece electric/acoustic band..

Can you give me some feedback? (no pun intended) :)

James

2. 335guy

335guy Member

QSC KW series are very good. I heard a band using one of those subs outside and it sounded pretty good and punchy. My concern re: the upper cabs is mounting them on poles. Their are 87 lbs and tall and narrow. You maybe better off with the KW112/KW118 package. Many believe 12's over subs are better than 15's over subs.

3. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

I have a couple and can't even imagine needing subs in a bar.

4. ckdhaven

ckdhaven Member

That's great to hear!! Thank you for your input..

Anyone else have an opinion?

5. saneff

saneff Gold Supporting Member

I would recommend the new Mackie HD1221's HIGHLY and I mean highly. You can get the sub or not or any sub but personally I don't think you need it with these. Me and my sound guy spent hours and hours demo'ing and researching and I swear these are the best in the category. And they are not near as heavy. The HD high def series from Mackie were better to me in every cAtegory than the QSC products. Give them a look and also you will save some money. They are awesome.

6. ddevil

ddevil Member

Our sound guy has the kw153s and some k10s....we mic everything and only use the kw153s...dont need subs or any extras...they are louuuuuuuud.....and clear :)

7. ckdhaven

ckdhaven Member

Are the k10s used for monitors?

8. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

I believe the kw153s have midrange speakers. I can't tell you how much that really impacts sound, in my opinion. The midrange speaker really opens up vocals, to my ears. I have Yorkville's with midrange speakers and they're so much better than any 12 inch combination. They're heavy, but worth it, and you can use them without subs in many circumstances.

9. ddevil

ddevil Member

Sometimes..sometimes we fly them to give more depth depending on bar size (due to there angle of sound)...the kw 153s are impressive...the kw152 ..not as much....the 153 really is an all in one solution....

10. oneleftnut

oneleftnut Member

I have 2 K12's and a KW181 sub. Highly recommend the QSC stuff. 6 year warranty too.