QSC KW122 users -beware of pole mounting these speakers

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Kyle Ashley, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

Last night I went to perch my QSC KW122s on the poles and the whole cup assembly crushed into the cabinet. The socket is mounted on a board that is lightly glued and fastened with what looks like a few staple sized tacks.

I don't have time to even wait for warranty - so I'm fixing myself with wood glue. When dry, I'll drill 4 holes through cabinet and mounting board and fasten with bolts and lock nuts. I plan to add the extra bolts to my other KW122 as well to prevent this from happening again.

Luckily no audience members were injured but this could be dangerous, so if you own these - be aware!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  2. 335guy

335guy Member

For the life of me, I don't understand why QSC would install their pole mounts in this manner. Why not just screw them to the cabinet like everyone else does?

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

holy crap! i hope you still alerted QSC, sent them these pictures even.

this is pretty significant.

4. 335guy

335guy Member

It occurs to me that QSC wanted their Tilt Direct pole mount to be flush with the bottom of the cabinet, so they came up with this poor solution. From a woodworking/cabinet building perspective, this is a poor design. Certainly they could have used the same mounting cup as their K series, as shown here on a K10,

[​IMG]

which appears fairly flush. For such an expensive speaker to have such a poorly designed and executed pole mount is pretty inexcusable, IMO.

5. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

I just got mine in a few days ago. How many times did you pole mount these before it happened?

6. imaxeman69

imaxeman69 Member

Wow! ! I've seen this happen on cheapo Seismic Audio cabinets, but not on "quality" gear. Hmmmm.

7. Kyle Ashley

I was not happy - I am sending the pics to QSC -

I've had the boxes about 1 year - pole mounted them about 40 times.

I should add that after only 4 months, one of the electronics buckets went bad and I had to replace it as well. That was through warranty but it still took a month to get repaired and was 4 hours of driving to drop off and then retrieve from the nearest service center.

I bought QSC for their reputation, seemingly solid construction, and 6 year warranty. But when basically new stuff costs me this much time and money, I start looking elsewhere.

8. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

You just happened to get lucky (having issues with QSC gear). QSC puts a lot of quality into their products and issues are rare. Contact them and they will definitely take care of you.

9. BBN

BBN Member

Wow! What a horrible design.
    Was this maybe a B-stock?
    Wondering if this was something they did in the midst of a design change or something?

Please let us know what QSC says.
    I was thinking about buying a set of these....but no way if this is in fact the normal design.

10. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

that sucks
    probably less of an issue with the non-wood k-series

11. dporto

dporto Member

There are several ways to mount the pole receivers so 1) they're flush with the bottom of the cabinet and 2) they're structurally sound. There is no good design excuse for that cheapo attempt at cabinet construction - and it can only be attributed to "cost savings" - inexcusable for what is supposed to be "high end" gear - LAME-Ohhhhhhhhhh!!!! :omg

12. tulk1

tulk1 Member

That is scary!! I pole my KW152s all the time. Think they're designed the same? How'd you manage to not mangle the speaker?

13. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

The pics are not too clear on the mounting. Was a cavity made in the plywood, and the speaker mount was screwed onto the couple layers of plywood veneer remaining? That is just appalling if that is the design.

14. Kyle Ashley

There is a mounting block that the actual plastic mount bolts into with T-nuts. It was fitted with 2 wooden dowels for placeholding and lightly glued along with a few staples connecting the mounting block to the surrounding cabinet base.

I guess I got lucky on not damaging the speaker and the cup crashed in and jammed against the speaker frame support instead of going into the gaps and ripping the speaker cone.

15. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

Okay not as bad as I imagined. I guess in this case the glue is stronger than the wood, but too bad the wood was not that strong. I hope they didn't use this design in other speakers. Lucky that no one was hurt as you said.