QSC Touchmix 16 users, report your latest feedback

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Crowder, May 10, 2015.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

1. Discovered any fatal flaws?

2. Favorite/least favorite features?

3. Would you buy again?

2. tremonti

tremonti Member

Love mine. Just hate that iPhone app said new update for the software. Did that and then when at last gig it wouldn't connect with board for mixing via iPhone. Said I had to update the board firmware too. Really? Like why not make new iPhone app work with last firmware of unit? Not huge thing, but sucked at gig and was pissed.

3. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

Took mine back. It wasn't as loud as my Presonus. I kept going back and forth between the two and I could tell a significant volume loss while using the QSC. I did really like the interface. It was very, very easy to use.

I didn't like not having a knob I can just turn quickly for my Aux's in case of feedback. That and the volume drop were the only problems I had with it.

4. petty1818

petty1818 Member

I still love mine! It takes time to get used to playing with the touch screen but it soon becomes straight forward. The included wifi dongle is not very good but I just upgraded to a $30.00 Asus pocket router and the wifi connection is perfect now. I have noticed a bit of a volume issue but this could be a result of the venue that I have been playing at. At this venue I plug my TM into the house PA so although I mix the band, the venue controls the overall volume. I find that they tend to set the PA at just under halfway so I always think that the TM is quiet but in reality the venue just has the volume so low that I am forced to turn everything up.

5. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

Teleking, you have go into the setup and adjust the digital gain on the channels, to about 6 db. I found this on other forums, and it was a fix in one of the firmware upgrades.
    Not a fan of how the presonus sounds.

6. petty1818

petty1818 Member

That's good to know.. I will have to check mine as well. One weird problem that I have is with the aux volume when using my K12's as monitors. In my acoustic group, we bring two monitors to use. The one on the left side of the stage is one of my K12's and on the right side we use a 50watt Yorkville that looks like a keyboard amp. I put the K12 in aux 1 and the Yorkville in aux 2. For whatever reason, I have to crank the aux level on 1 in order to get an acceptable volume on stage for the K12 but the Yorkville only needs a bit of volume in order to produce enough volume.

7. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Probably a mic vs line input level deal there.

8. petty1818

petty1818 Member

Haha I know that's not it as I had that issue before! I need to play around with it. The lack of volume is definitely irritating.

9. Chris Hayden

Chris Hayden Member

Used mine this past Saturday. Connected in a crowded bar using just the supplied dongle, no problems all night mixing out front on iPad. Still waiting on the next firmware update to correct the issue with the iPad resetting to some other screen. Happened only once on Saturday. Not a big deal just had to relaunch the iPad app.

Good tip on upping the gain structure control on the setup screen. I upped all of them and it helped a lot.
    Aside from that, this venue was the hardest venue I've worked in a long time. I couldn't get the vocals to sound as good as I normally do. It's a notoriously terrible room for acoustics but I wasn't to happy with my sound presentation that night. I hope they don't book that place again, ugh.

10. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Have you tried switching which aux controls which speaker? In other words, is the Yorkville louder in all of the aux outputs?

11. joebauer

joebauer Member

Setting up rehearsal/jam/party/small PA system.
    CURRENT EQUIPMENT:

I have 2 Atomic CLR Neos for tops, 2 EV ETX15 subs for sound.
    Inputs will be keys (Nord Stage2), guitar (AxeFx), sax (Shure Beta 98 wireless) and small Roland drum set plus vocals (3-4). Bass player to be added later.
    QUESTIONS:

(1) Do I need DI boxes for keys or AxeFx or Nord Stage2? Will a DI improve sound? Are the TM16 xlr inputs capable of both mic and line level inputs?

(2) Which speaker cables (20') for Neos &subs: regular XLR-quad XLR- other suggestions?

(3) Can speaker cable and power cable be in same loom or will that cause interference problems?

(4)Best way to hookup ipod for backing tracks or general playback?

I like the feature set on the TM16 but, as I plan to do this only once, will I get a better significant sound improvement by upgrading to something like a Midas M32R?

All suggestions appreciated.

12. p19978

p19978 Member

Just bot it week; used it Sat after a few days of setting up a "scene".

Feedback was a problem; I wish it had a "Mute All" button in big red lettering.

Not happy with the sound; can't get a decent mix or EQ. Our 15 year old Carvin analog board sounds much better. Members are already asking me to use the old board for this weekend.

Its simply not as easy mixing on an analog board; hopefully I'll get it setup because the potential is there... at least in the demo videos.

13. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Put the keyboards in channels 17-18 and 19-20.

14. petty1818

petty1818 Member

switching from analog to digital can be frustrating but the TM is so easy to use. Make sure you spend some time before a gig getting to know it. You shouldn't be getting a bad sound out of it. Also, there is a mute all button.

15. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

I agree, It can be a difficult thing. and It does have a mute button on it. plus you can make mute scenes. (mute scenes are great for breaks, but also for pre show so you can talk to each other on the monitors, but the mains are still muted) It will positively sound better than any board carvin ever sold. so just hang in there. Post your questions here.
    I have been running digital consoles for 10 years. and I used to have to run Yamaha LS series, They couldn't have made it any harder. also not a fan of the presonus workflow.

16. p19978

p19978 Member

I fully realize that its more about "pilot error" at this point and not the shortcomings of the board.

Hopefully I can get a good mix together at practice on weds. BTW, any tips on eq settings for the monitors?

17. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

Yes, get it all set up with your ipad running the software and stand in front of each mic and start to speak/sing into the mic, keep turning it up until it just starts to feedback. Use your ears to help tell you where it is, it is also a good learning tool to hear what frequencies actually sound like get it where it almost feeds back and tweek the EQ for that monitor send. I typically dump all the low end below 150 hz in a monitor if it is primarily for vocals, maybe dump the low end at 100 if there is some instruments coming through. Most often the culprits lie between 500hz and 5000hz, I know that's a lot of real estate. If you don't know what else to do, put a soft smiley face on it, starting around 200hz up to 5khz and it will at least likely get you started. A lot has to do with your choice of mics and monitors, and how much monitor someone needs. I have worked with people who only just need a little vocal, yet others need to have their monitor so loud that it is practically deafening. the louder they need it, the more work you will have to do, to get it right. everyone should try to learn to get by with as little monitor as possible. IF you don't want it to interfere with your front of house sound. Many times you get the monitors loud enough to satisfy the talent, only to find you have ruined your FOH mix. or have to get it really loud to overcome it.

18. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

Get one of the phone apps that has a tone generator on it, to help train your ears, once in a while listen for a minute or 2 to a 200hz tone, a 500hz tone,
    a 1500hz tone, a 2500hz tone etc. you will start to get familiar with where the actual frequenices lay. there is some comparison charts on the internet to help you get an idea of what they sound like too.

Good luck.

19. p19978

p19978 Member

I basically started over; flattened all the EQ's and used the presets.

Sounds a lot better; I think I simply "overcooked" the mix with all of the different EQ's available.

Your advice above looks helpful; many thanks!

20. petty1818

petty1818 Member

It's funny but I have used the TM at five shows now and each time the sound check has been fairly rushed due to the venue forcing us to set up at a certain time. For this reason, I hardly ever get a chance to touch the eq controls and basically leave everything flat and tweak from there throughout the show. I have actually found that the flat settings sound really good right from the get go.