• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Quad Cortex Poll

Quad Cortex Poll

• Own the Quad Cortex and love it.

Votes: 79 18.9%
  • Owned the Quad Cortex and returned it.

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Owned the Quad Cortex and sold it.

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Anxiously waiting for my order to come up for the Quad Cortex.

Votes: 20 4.8%
  • On the fence if I want a Quad Cortex

Votes: 101 24.2%
  • Not interested in the Quad Cortex

Votes: 184 44.0%
  • Own the Quad Cortex and waiting for updates to decide if I like it

Votes: 10 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Calaban

It’s been interesting seeing your posts pre-delivery and post-delivery. You were called out previously as someone who was attaching some self-worth to the QC, here and on the Kemper forum, so it was quite interesting to see the sudden lack of posts after you received it.

I’m not busting balls right now or calling you out, but there was a very apparent difference in your QC-related posts pre/post delivery and surely you can say that’s true. I barely even see your name pop up anymore and you were a regular.
Attaching some self worth to a product I’d never tried? Nah. I caught a lot of guff for defending the QC (on the Kemper forum) against nit picky attacks by, imo, defensive Kemper uber-fans. I think they were probably projecting their own gear insecurities. I mean, just mentioning some aspect of the QC that I liked better than the Kemper often resulted in a shower of “self worth” and “shill” type comments. Very silly stuff.

I had high hopes for the QC and still do, as hopefully you can see from my post above. I think it will be an incredible device once it gets itself settled.

RevDrucifer

Attaching some self worth to a product I’d never tried? Nah. I caught a lot of guff for defending the QC (on the Kemper forum) against nit picky attacks by, imo, defensive Kemper uber-fans. I think they were probably projecting their own gear insecurities. I mean, just mentioning some aspect of the QC that I liked better than the Kemper often resulted in a shower of “self worth” and “shill” type comments. Very silly stuff.

I had high hopes for the QC and still do, as hopefully you can see from my post above. I think it will be an incredible device once it gets itself settled.
There were certainly some “strong” reactions to the QC over there.

Not sure if you’ve ever seen Clerks 2, but at one point, the scene where one dude is ripping Lord Of The Rings to shreds and the LOTR fan pukes on the floor in disgust was the only thing that came to mind.

“The QC captures amps.”

A few Kemper forum members: :barf

waterbound

Silver Supporting Member
I was on the fence and almost pre-ordered several times. I thought that I had to pay in full upfront. Was that not the case with Sweetwater? Could you get on the list and then pay when it shipped?

I finally decided to order one even with reports of issues. I figured and hoped that most issues would be worked out by the time mine shipped.

I had stopped following all of the threads on a regular basis and I missed getting an order in before the price increase by a few days. I was shocked to see that the price had jumped up $250. That was a deal breaker for me. I'm out for the foreseeable future.
I believe all the other higher-ended modelers went up in cost (e.g. FM3, AX3, Kemper and Helix)

dmock66

I have a QC - and "like it".

I have a Helix and FM3. In a side by side - the QC isn't quite as good with respect to the stock amp/cab tones. In fairness - it's entirely possible I've not found "my cabinet settings" yet. I have my absolute favorite with the Helix/FM3 and can very quickly/easily dial in my tone with most any amp as the cab always "sounds right" to me. I believe the right cab makes/breaks your tone - so I chalk that up to "user error" at this point, because...

... I made some Captures of my Rte 66 Helix preset that I've been using for a few years and is really dialed in... and with those as the backbone of the tone in the QC - I would not be able to determine which is which in a blindfold test. It took me a few rounds of attempts to get the levels right - but after I did - I'm unable to tell them apart.

I am anxious for a few more updates to cycle thru the QC. I think it's "really close" right now - but again, in fairness, I'm comparing it to products that have had time to mature - as well as previous generations to learn from. This being Neural's first hardware device - I think they came out of the gate strong, and have already released a couple updates - so they're showing well. Due to that, I get the sense they're going to improve quickly.

I really like the form factor and that the high number of switches allows for direct access to 8 Scenes as well as preset up/down. A quick HOLD to the Tuner... so it's live usage, for me, is awesome. More direct access control than the FM3 and much smaller footprint over the Helix.

Just my $.02 worth.
... UPDATE...

I took the time to scroll thru all the cabs/mics. Where I've not gone thru all of the combinations/permutations available - I have found "my cab", actually two. I'm still doing the "final mile" tweaks on them - but now they sound like the cabs I've used on the FM3/Helix - more "my sound".

Using those cabs I've started auditioning the amps in the QC - and will move to Captures after that - and am having a much better experience with respect to resulting tone. I could use the QC solely as a "modeler" with only built in components - and I'd be happy. In an A/B against the FM3 with what I felt is a great sounding preset - the QC sounded almost identical - and had all the same goodness I was intentionally listening for.

It really reinforces my belief that the current "top shelf" devices are far more similar than different. I've been able to A/B/C the Helix/FM3/QC side-by-side-by-side... they have some nuance differences, but are really hard to tell apart. Workflow, form factor, specific capabilities, price, availability are more the deciding factors, as I see it.

All that to say - well done to Neural for creating a product that is at that level out of the gate.

dean701

have it, voted the last option. It could be ear fatigue but some days I love it and some days I just don't. I use it daily but some things are keeping me from being happy with it. I have a few more days to decide about a return.

Pros:
-it seems easier to dial a basic tone tone than I've had historically with the Fm3 and Helix, and Kemper for that matter. However I have had a lot more time with them.
-has more of a feel to it than the helix although this is subjective, Cygnus seems to keep up.
-the low Hz range seems the most authentic of all of the modelers. (maybe they took note of the Kemper thing)

Cons: (many)
-the effects do not float my boat
-many bug fixes and features are yet to be installed. Even Doug admitted in a post that they released 5% of the intended content. What??
-promises made by Neural may or may not satisfy my effects needs. Looking at their plug-ins their effects are stomp like and certainly don't contend with either the Helix or the mind of Cliff.
-I have already reported a grounding issue with support team
-there is something going on in the high end, could be the eq, could be the gate. (if I use the same IR and a similar gain model with another modeler and tailor so that they are similar, the FM3 screams pinch harmonics and the QC flubs some out.)
-the Cloud is a disaster. Disorganized, connection timeouts
-no global eq and very few global settings at all.
-no midi clock
-I've posted in quite a few places about my displeasure with the download architecture. It's ridiculous that I have to star something on a phone app, then go the QC to find it, download it, find it again and attach it to a preset. Just have it all on the QC and be able to audition everything live similar to Kemper's desktop app.
-still waiting on the pc app. (with Fractal and Helix, the pc editors are great) This is a floorboard, no, yet I am always tweaking with my hands.
-if I were to keep it, it needs an external midi controller. Despite it being a modern touch screen device it takes more button presses to get around than the Helix. Just to get into stomp mode it takes 2 stomps, then if you don't have your effect bound to a switch it doesn't allow you to bypass it in stomp mode. I would grab an MC8 for it.

All in all, my head seems to bounce back and forth listening to the sell/keep police sitting on my shoulders.

EDIT: I'm going to hold out for 1.1 firmware and see what they get fixed.

EDIT: great update with the 1.1 code. Many fixes and some new stuff. It's a keeper.

Last edited:

mbenigni

have it, voted the last option. It could be ear fatigue but some days I love it and some days I just don't. I use it daily but some things are keeping me from being happy with it. I have a few more days to decide about a return.

Pros:
-it seems easier to dial a basic tone tone than I've had historically with the Fm3 and Helix, and Kemper for that matter. However I have had a lot more time with them.
-has more of a feel to it than the helix although this is subjective, Cygnus seems to keep up.
-the low Hz range seems the most authentic of all of the modelers. (maybe they took note of the Kemper thing)

Cons: (many)
-the effects do not float my boat
-many bug fixes and features are yet to be installed. Even Doug admitted in a post that they released 5% of the intended content. What??
-promises made by Neural may or may not satisfy my effects needs. Looking at their plug-ins their effects are stomp like and certainly don't contend with either the Helix or the mind of Cliff.
-I have already reported a grounding issue with support team
-there is something going on in the high end, could be the eq, could be the gate. (if I use the same IR and a similar gain model with another modeler and tailor so that they are similar, the FM3 screams pinch harmonics and the QC flubs some out.)
-the Cloud is a disaster. Disorganized, connection timeouts
-no global eq and very few global settings at all.
-no midi clock
-I've posted in quite a few places about my displeasure with the download architecture. It's ridiculous that I have to star something on a phone app, then go the QC to find it, download it, find it again and attach it to a preset. Just have it all on the QC and be able to audition everything live similar to Kemper's desktop app.
-still waiting on the pc app. (with Fractal and Helix, the pc editors are great) This is a floorboard, no, yet I am always tweaking with my hands.
-if I were to keep it, it needs an external midi controller. Despite it being a modern touch screen device it takes more button presses to get around than the Helix. Just to get into stomp mode it takes 2 stomps, then if you don't have your effect bound to a switch it doesn't allow you to bypass it in stomp mode. I would grab an MC8 for it.

All in all, my head seems to bounce back and forth listening to the sell/keep police sitting on my shoulders.

EDIT: I'm going to hold out for 1.1 firmware and see what they get fixed.

EDIT: great update with the 1.1 code. Many fixes and some new stuff. It's a keeper.
Woah. That was quite a rollercoaster ride.

mbenigni

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. (It’s a Helix t-shirt.)

LolainNB

Not my experience when I had a QC and FM3 next to each other for nearly a month. Some I liked as much or better, but I preferred more on the FM3. Hence I don't have the QC anymore for this reason amongst others. Of course this is all IMO and not fact.
How much did it sell for if you don’t mind me asking?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom