• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Quad Cortex - Sweetwater Preorders

mbenigni

Yup this is my first modeler. (Picked the best rollercoaster ever for my first ride lol)

I prefer the models to captures, and I use external York IR’s vs stock cabs. (Not a fan of the cabs, except a couple 212s) I must be a weirdo. Lol

I don’t think the captures are “bad” it’s just by the time I find one I reasonably like, then I have to hope that there are other captures at the various gain profiles that I also like so I can have a preset that covers the clean, rhythm, lead spectrum. Inevitably its just easier to use a model where I can dial them in to taste. (Not that there aren’t issues with models, they vary considerably in quality imo)

I am though pretty interested in using captures via a tube power amp. (Models too tbh) Think that might be the last piece of the puzzle to unlock.
Power amp (be it tube or SS) and guitar cab is going to be night and day, and for most purposes, far better. It’s my preference if I’m just playing “live” without the need to run FR content through the same speaker. But at that point you’re not really evaluating a modeling rig anymore. Half of it is a conventional guitar amp. :)

Whizzinby

Silver Supporting Member
Power amp (be it tube or SS) and guitar cab is going to be night and day, and for most purposes, far better. It’s my preference if I’m just playing “live” without the need to run FR content through the same speaker. But at that point you’re not really evaluating a modeling rig anymore. Half of it is a conventional guitar amp. :)
Yup. I messed around with the PS170 SS power amp which produced enough encouraging results for me to be looking at a big tube power amp like the PS100. (And leveling up my 212 to a 412) I ended up returning it and the HX effects to get the JC, but it was a positive experience to at least show me the way. lol

I’m going to keep my FRFR for volume control playing sessions, and to be able to get the full digital experience when desired, but I think the sweet spot for modeling (for me) is probably tube power amp and a cab. It was nice to have some power in the room. (Was also nice to see the fam rush to shut every door in the house between me and them to dampen the thunder coming from a cab :cool: )

Gearzilla

Yup. I messed around with the PS170 SS power amp which produced enough encouraging results for me to be looking at a big tube power amp like the PS100. (And leveling up my 212 to a 412) I ended up returning it and the HX effects to get the JC, but it was a positive experience to at least show me the way. lol

I’m going to keep my FRFR for volume control playing sessions, and to be able to get the full digital experience when desired, but I think the sweet spot for modeling (for me) is probably tube power amp and a cab. It was nice to have some power in the room. (Was also nice to see the fam rush to shut every door in the house between me and them to dampen the thunder coming from a cab :cool: )
Hybrid rig Brah.

Best of both worlds.

:)

….though I’m lazy on fulfilling the tube amp portion at the moment.

zseelye

Yup this is my first modeler. (Picked the best rollercoaster ever for my first ride lol)

I prefer the models to captures, and I use external York IR’s vs stock cabs. (Not a fan of the cabs, except a couple 212s) I must be a weirdo. Lol

I don’t think the captures are “bad” it’s just by the time I find one I reasonably like, then I have to hope that there are other captures at the various gain profiles that I also like so I can have a preset that covers the clean, rhythm, lead spectrum. Inevitably its just easier to use a model where I can dial them in to taste. (Not that there aren’t issues with models, they vary considerably in quality imo)

I am though pretty interested in using captures via a tube power amp. (Models too tbh) Think that might be the last piece of the puzzle to unlock.
I find myself using captures (far) more frequently than stock models, mostly my own captures. I don't think they're better or worse than stock models, rather the stock models aren't what I typically gravitate towards tone/feel wise. Captures do a great job of capturing the feel and breakup of the captured device, so if you don't like the feel of the models....FEAR NOT...you've got infinite options through captures.

That's a big part of why I like this thing - despite the lack of factory "models", I've been able to build a core tone using captures that will likely never be fully modeled by any company. And for me they're the best core tones I've ever gotten out of a modeler...but, YMMV you know?

Last edited:

mbenigni

I find myself using captures (far) more frequently than stock models, mostly my own captures. I don't think they're better or worse than stock models, rather the stock models aren't what I typically gravitate towards tone/feel wise. Captures do a great job of capturing the feel and breakup of the captured device, so if you don't like the feel of the models....FEAR NOT...you've got infinite options through captures.

That's a big part of why I like this thing - despite the lack of factory "models", I've been able to build a core tone using captures that will likely never be fully modeled by any company. And for me they're the best core tones I've ever gotten out of a modeler...but, YMMV you know?
I really hope I can ask this question without starting a big... thing... in yet another thread... but I'm curious: did you have any experience with Kemper prior to picking up a QC? You've probably indicated as much in one of the QC threads, but OMG there are like a thousand of them now. o_O

zseelye

I really hope I can ask this question without starting a big... thing... in yet another thread... but I'm curious: did you have any experience with Kemper prior to picking up a QC? You've probably indicated as much in one of the QC threads, but OMG there are like a thousand of them now. o_O
Lol. No, no experience.

Lots of Helix and FM3 experience, though. And....I liked all of them, QC just gave me options that weren't possible on other units, namely a mic-pre and enough horsepower to run a full vocal and guitar chain at once. I could do this on Helix (and did), but with captures I've got more control over vocal tone. As far as I know, this use isn't possible in the box with Kemper.

NOBODY START A THING OKAY.

mbenigni

Lol. No, no experience.

Lots of Helix and FM3 experience, though. And....I liked all of them, QC just gave me options that weren't possible on other units, namely a mic-pre and enough horsepower to run a full vocal and guitar chain at once. I could do this on Helix (and did), but with captures I've got more control over vocal tone. As far as I know, this use isn't possible in the box with Kemper.

NOBODY START A THING OKAY.
Yes, mic pre and sufficient parallel pathing to make use of it was a big selling point with Helix Floor. (I still love mine, and intend to keep it no matter what I make of the QC.) QC will hopefully bring the same, but with a little more portability. I just hope I don't run into some little feature deficiency that turns into a show-stopper/ deal-breaker.

Devil's in the details...

Jim Roseberry

To clarify, Sweetwater does not... and did not have any Quad Cortex units available for immediate purchase.
I just spoke with Stewart Hisey... and got in the cue.
If you call today, they're estimating that you'll receive a QC sometime ~ mid October.

waterbound

Silver Supporting Member
As of this moment, Sweetwater actually has some in stock ready to be ordered.
You are likely basing that on their website as they removed the pre-order verbiage but they do not have unreserved inventory and the QC is very much still a pre-order item.

JasonE

You are likely basing that on their website as they removed the pre-order verbiage but they do not have unreserved inventory and the QC is very much still a pre-order item.
I actually based it off of their website having them available and not saying they are out of stock and they have more on the way, like other items I have on backorder with them. I was also able to add one to my cart and take it to the point of not actually ordering it and it never said it was out of stock. I just did it again and it looks to still be in stock.

They are pretty good at keeping their website up to date. I buy a lot from them. I don't really want one of these so I am not going to actually order it to see if it ships.

waterbound

Silver Supporting Member
I actually based it off of their website having them available and not saying they are out of stock and they have more on the way, like other items I have on backorder with them. I was also able to add one to my cart and take it to the point of not actually ordering it and it never said it was out of stock. I just did it again and it looks to still be in stock.

They are pretty good at keeping their website up to date. I buy a lot from them. I don't really want one of these so I am not going to actually order it to see if it ships.
But that would be the real test lol. I confirmed with sales that they indeed do not have stock but coming from SW regarding QC, nothing would surprise me.

timowens316

Just curious, if you don't want one why do you care, why go to the trouble of trying to confirm if it's in stock or not? And why post about it in this thread? I'm not trying to be a jerk, it's an honest question.

spikey

Just got the word from my SW rep, ordered last May, looks like October/November he says...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom