• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Quad Cortex warranty repair PSA

sixstring531

Silver Supporting Member
Just a heads up:

If you have any issues with the Cortex, do NOT open the unit. It has anti-tampering indicators and opening the unit will void your warranty. *UPDATE* Neural indicates this is false. A very large retailer is currently saying otherwise.

A good buddy (amp builder/seller, accomplished tech...etc) had to open his due to a broken input jack and they (Retailer) will not honor the warranty on another issue (screen issue) that has come up.

Thought it would just be nice to have a friendly reminder.

Last edited:

waterbound

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the heads up! I won't plan to open mine at least until the 3y warranty has expired!

Jynx

This is really common. You should never try open phones, games consoles, TVs, etc for the same reason.

randombastage

Silver Supporting Member
I wonder if the state I live in will allow that to be a factor. I don't think there was any sticker on there declaring the interior was off limits. Warranty has to comply with the protections provided by the state/country you sell the device in if I'm remembering the law correctly.

mbenigni

Just a heads up:

If you have any issues with the Cortex, do NOT open the unit. It has anti-tampering indicators and opening the unit will void your warranty.

A good buddy (amp builder/seller, accomplished tech...etc) had to open his due to a broken input jack and they will not honor the warranty on another issue (screen issue) that has come up.

Thought it would just be nice to have a friendly reminder.
Thanks for this. I just posted a problem description on Facebook, and was advised to check whether SD card was loose (?)

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
I don’t know that many manufacturers will be so strict with it that they will void a warranty for simply removing a screw. Obviously if you damage something while doing it, that’s a different story. Who is actually telling your friend this? The service center, or Neural itself? I find there’s sometimes a disconnect with the messaging from authorized service centers and the company itself.

mbenigni

I don’t know that many manufacturers will be so strict with it that they will void a warranty for simply removing a screw. Obviously if you damage something while doing it, that’s a different story. Who is actually telling your friend this? The service center, or Neural itself? I find there’s sometimes a disconnect with the messaging from authorized service centers and the company itself.
I feel like there must be several disconnects happening regarding warranty. The product's only been out in the wild for a few months now. There really should be no circumstances - apart from blatant misuse/ abuse - where the warranty terms aren't honored. For instance, is warranty transferability really a concern on a QC that was just manufactured a month ago? Does it really matter whether it's changed hands once or twice?

I don't know... Maybe Line6 has just spoiled us all. :)

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
If true, that is some seriously lame bulls___ for NDSP to pull on customers :confused:

Especially if there is no warning

mbenigni

Is there an SD card inside?
Apparently? It's obviously not intended to be a user-serviceable part. It must have just been easier or more cost-effective for them to use one as opposed to soldering a memory component onto the board. Smaller SDs are so cheap now, I'm not surprised at all.

The thought of them coming (partially?) unseated is not comforting, though.

If true, that is some seriously lame bulls___ for NDSP to pull on customers :confused:

Especially if there is no warning
One would hope that these are all just rumors. (I'm not going to tell Neural how to run their business, but it is a little curious that there are so many unchecked rumors.)

sixstring531

Silver Supporting Member
Right now I believe it is the retailer telling him it is voided since he opened it up. He is also reaching out to Neural, as the new issue is probably something they've seen before and know how to fix. Like many of you, I would think they would do the warranty work on something so new unless there truly was abuse present on the unit. I'm not gonna lie, I open every piece of guitar equipment I own. I love looking at guts and layout!

mbenigni

Right now I believe it is the retailer telling him it is voided since he opened it up. He is also reaching out to Neural, as the new issue is probably something they've seen before and know how to fix. Like many of you, I would think they would do the warranty work on something so new unless there truly was abuse present on the unit. I'm not gonna lie, I open every piece of guitar equipment I own. I love looking at guts and layout!
Definitely important to distinguish between retailer BS and Neural BS. Neural have already had enough shade cast their way to last a lifetime. They don't need any help from some guitar shop clerk who doesn't want to give back his first-ever commission check. :D

randombastage

Silver Supporting Member
Apparently? It's obviously not intended to be a user-serviceable part. It must have just been easier or more cost-effective for them to use one as opposed to soldering a memory component onto the board. Smaller SDs are so cheap now, I'm not surprised at all.

The thought of them coming (partially?) unseated is not comforting, though.

One would hope that these are all just rumors. (I'm not going to tell Neural how to run their business, but it is a little curious that there are so many unchecked rumors.)
To be fair, having someone cover all the random assertions, just in this forum, would be a full time job. Maybe the fact that Doug shows up regularly has led some to think he should show up constantly. Compare that to how often we hear from Boss or Atomic or...,

mbenigni

To be fair, having someone cover all the random assertions, just in this forum, would be a full time job. Maybe the fact that Doug shows up regularly has led some to think he should show up constantly. Compare that to how often we hear from Boss or Atomic or...,
Absolutely true. (And again, "maybe Line 6 have just spoiled us...") I think if Doug has limited bandwidth, he should be a little more strategic about when he pops in for a visit. A victory lap over a minor f/w revision is perhaps less beneficial than coming in to clarify a policy or acknowledge a significant concern.

But I did say I wouldn't tell Neural how to run their business...

jeffwhitfield

Actually, I think it's illegal in the U.S. to void someone's warranty just for opening it up. Need to look it up but I think some cases dealing with Apple products made this a precedent in the courts. Unless a manufacturer can prove that any tampering led to the failure of a product, simply opening a device shouldn't void a warranty. That's an unreasonable expectation for sure. What if I simply had a jack that needed to be tightened? Is the expectation that I have to ship it to the manufacturer just to get a simple thing fixed that I can fix myself?

guitarno

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the warning? :aok Good to know for those of us who might be tempted to peek under the hood! :omg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom