Quadraverb GT

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Patrick Bateman, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Member

Hellllllo.

Thinking about copping a Quadraverb GT on the cheap. Big John Squire fan, supposedly he used two of them. But wanted to get some user opinions of them here first.
    I'm super into Stone Roses and all the shoegaze guitar tones. I've got a Midiverb II right now that I use quite often.
    I know the GT has all the guitar effects/cab simulations built in. Won't be using those at all. Mainly interested in whether you can stack effects and if you can in fact bypass the guitar preamp section entirely?
    Basically using it only as a Quadraverb.
    Won't be running this through an effects loop. Most likely played in stereo through a '72 and '64 Twin Reverb. Really loudly.

2. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Stacking effects is pretty much what the Quadraverb does, so you should have no issue combining mods, delays, and a reverb.

The Quadraverb will also open up your reverb potential with more parameters, including Swirl (modulation control). If anything, what you might want to do is go guitar->Midiverb->QuadraverbGT>amps to double up your Alesis power and still retain access to the Bloom presets.

Quadraverb, QuadraverbGT, Quadraverb2, etc. are all great bang for the buck processors (mostly sub-$100), if you're okay with the rack thing.

3. Mrmarshallhead

Mrmarshallhead Member

The GT has an out straight after the preamp part and an in before the quad effects, so yes you can bypass the compressor, drive etc effects.

You can stack effects in certain configurations, but they come in set blocks, where you can choose e.g. one modulation, eq, reverb and delay together in one patch but you cannot choose two mods together for instance. Also the more effects, the more basic the parameters per effect.

4. GuitarToma

GuitarToma Silver Supporting Member

All correct. You can actually run the preamp section and the effect section independently. Pretty cool. Fantastic effects... not such a great pre-amp.

5. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

Great modulated reverb and modulated delay in the Quadraverb. It can definitely do John Squire and Nick McCabe considering it's what they used. And yeah you can use just the fx and combine multiple fx.

6. Catch

Catch Analog>Digital Converter

I owned a Quadraverb years ago...then Alesis released the Qaud GT and I bought one of those. Worst tone ever. I went back to the Quadraverb and have had it for 20 years or so now. It has some very useable effects...but today's pedals solve soooooo many of its problems (true bypass/buffers, analog to digital conversion...). But the Quad generated so many shoegaze tones, it will be effortless to nail that style...you won't need the GT portion.

7. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Alesis effects really do nail -that- sound, as I'm sure you've noticed a bit with your MVII.

I have an Alesis Midiverb4 to get that lo-res modulated reverb in a 90's rig that I built for fun. To get the blooms going, I run Yamaha Reverse Gate > Alesis Concert Hall w/ Swirl at 30% or so. Everything stays mixed in parallel to avoid buffering, etc.

8. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Member

Appreciate the replies. Yeah, I feel like I would probably be very content with just the Quadraverb as opposed to the GT, but this is a super good deal, and I don't see any normal Quadraverbs for sale locally. I'm happy to hear that you can run the effects section independently of the pre-amp. That pre-amp had me freaked out a bit. What about the sampling function on these units? Is it kinda cool? Or not really?
    Like I said, still super happy with the Midiverb II for what I do. It totally cops that washed out almost undestinguishable reverb that I dig so much on some of those late 80's early 90's British bands. Probably going to buy the GT. I'm honestly not much of a tone freak at all.

9. tuj

tuj Member

Quadraverbs are fun units. Personally I like the + version because it adds a 6-osc resonator you can control via midi. Very cool. Also a ring mod effect. Sampling function is pretty dumb IMHO, I never found a good use for it.

Reverbs are decent if you tweak them. They aren't what you'll find in an Eventide box but they are on par with the cheaper Lexicons.

Another unit that's a ton of fun is the Yamaha SPX90. And there are several Zoom 1/2-rack units they made like the 9050? that are really cool too. IIRC the guitar sounds on Wish by NIN are from the 9050.