Quality check: Marshall DSL40CR

les_paul

How's the quality on these Vietnamese Marshalls? Solid option to buy or should I look for an older head and a smaller cab?

AlanH

I can only speak for the DSL40C but I gig with mine and have found it reliable over the last two years. They do have a good rep. I have a fly Rig for backup but I'd do that with any valve amp.

No doubt a hand wired valve amp with a very simple circuit would be more reliable than a complex circuit like the DSL on PCB; but so would a washing machine with its drum being turned by a leprechaun....

les_paul

I can only speak for the DSL40C but I gig with mine and have found it reliable over the last two years. They do have a good rep. I have a fly Rig for backup but I'd do that with any valve amp.

No doubt a hand wired valve amp with a very simple circuit would be more reliable than a complex circuit like the DSL on PCB; but so would a washing machine with its drum being turned by a leprechaun....
By chance do you use the big footswitch or just the stock one that came with it?

AlanH

By chance do you use the big footswitch or just the stock one that came with it?
It's the DSL40C, not the CR so doesn't have the option for an extra footswitch. The DSL40C has a stock two button footswitch for channel switching and reverb on-off.

The DSL40CR has some "programmability" / settings memory for the channels and modes. This, I think, did cause some issues when it was first released but I could be wrong. Have you researched the DSL40CR over at the Marshall Forum.

Last edited:

FracStrat

Platinum Supporting Member
Thanks for spotting, FracStrat. Predictive text on my phone seems to remember DSL40C. Post Edited.
My iPad decided to lock me out of TMF …… Bummed about that …… Reached out to Alex but no response yet ……

Goldie Glocks

I had the 40CR but sold it to get the 20H. Just got tired of lugging the combo around. Otherwise great amps. Regarding reliability, I have never had any trouble with mine. Also, for an outright awesome sounding Marshall tube amp they are an exceptional value.

les_paul

It's the DSL40C, not the CR so doesn't have the option for an extra footswitch. The DSL40C has a stock two button footswitch for channel switching and reverb on-off.

The DSL40CR has some "programmability" / settings memory for the channels and modes. This, I think, did cause some issues when it was first released but I could be wrong. Have you researched the DSL40CR over at the Marshall Forum.
Nope. I can get most of what I need from this forum and honestly I've historically been a snob against American, British, or Canadian made amps. I'll check it out though.

les_paul

Turns out it's a mixed bag over there too. Some noise issues on the CR model that some have had and some haven't. Sounds like this is one to play in person and buy vs buying online.

JonSick

I bought the DSL40C just towards the end of it's tenure. It was great but one day the mains transformer failed rather surprisingly. It was only 4 months old. I didn't have time to visit Marshall in MK to get them to fix it, but my store and I have a good relationship. They "upgraded" me to the DSL40CR same day (had to pay like £30 or so difference which I didn't mind). I've had that thing from new pretty much since then which must be at least a year or 18 months. I swapped out the stock speaker with the v30 and it was much nicer.

It's been my bedroom amp since then. I love mine.

Telejester

I bought the DSL40C just towards the end of it's tenure. It was great but one day the mains transformer failed rather surprisingly. It was only 4 months old. I didn't have time to visit Marshall in MK to get them to fix it, but my store and I have a good relationship. They "upgraded" me to the DSL40CR same day (had to pay like £30 or so difference which I didn't mind). I've had that thing from new pretty much since then which must be at least a year or 18 months. I swapped out the stock speaker with the v30 and it was much nicer.

It's been my bedroom amp since then. I love mine.
Jon can I ask, are the tubes chassis mounted or on the PCB ?

JonSick

Jon can I ask, are the tubes chassis mounted or on the PCB ?
I would have to go home and look but I seem to think that the power tubes are chassis mounted. I seem to remember this being a thing at some point but can't remember why. My DSL40CR lives in my bedroom and primarily as a solo jam about/pedal exploration platform. I record it occasionally, but it's mainly my home from home amp (can't really play my big stacks where I am).

Jabby92

They're basically the same as all the other $750-$1000 amps. Pretty good, not amazing, not boutique quality but they do sound really great overall. Seem to be pretty reliable from what I've read and heard. I do know the 'CR' model is revoiced/reworked slightly, it breaks up at a lower volume and I think they changed the speaker out so its not so fizzy.

I'd also suggest checking out the Bassbreaker 30R combo. I definitely liked the cleans on it more than the Marshall personally and the overdrive is pretty similar to a Marshall as well.

Trending Topics