quality comparison: Grosh from the 90's vs Grosh now?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by AJ Love, May 16, 2005.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

historical perspective needed:

has Grosh always been making killer guitars? Are they even better now than in the mid-90's? Any reason they might have been slightly better back in the 90's?

Enquiring minds, yada yada

2. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

well I've been checking into it, and everyone says that the Grosh retro classics were just as good in the mid-90's as they are now, the Harmony Central reviews reflect that as well

3. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

here's what I have coming in a trade, its a '96 Grosh Retro Classic, Jewel Green with Rosewood fingerboard and a set of Lollar pickups in it, looking forward to it[​IMG]

4. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

that looks EXACTLY like my retroclassic. I love the deep jewel green finish. very vintage. I'm jealous of the tweed case, mine was black tolex with leather ends. my retroclassic was made probably in late 98 or early 99 so it's right in between your '96 and the ones he's making today. mine was fantastic as well, so I conclude that no matter what year grosh, they're all equally amazing. of course yours won't be shipping with a factory setup, so your initial response to playability will be different than mine was. plus mine had dimarzio virtual vintage pickups.

5. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

As someone who has owned 6 Grosh guitars with serial #'s ranging from #236 to the 1300's, I think the craftmanship has always been remarkable and the quality has been completely consistent over time. However, I also feel that his instuments get a lot better as they get older. Perhaps its the thin nitro finish that contributes to it, or just good wood selection to begin with, but to me Don's guitars have a unique "organic" feel and tone that seems to appreciate over time, like a good acoustic guitar does. So in that regard, the older ones can be considered better but not because they were made in any substantially different manner.

6. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

I would think the quality has gone up. Consider now they are able to make a set neck........toolings and all.....the build process should've been more smooth than before?

I find their later ones do look more slick.

It's still pretty much a very small shop and Don still answers emails and questions..etc

#236? Does it have a flame maple neck with Lake placid Blue finish and gold hardware? Just go by memory.

7. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

That's what I get for trusting my failing memory. I've got Retro Classic #278 - 2 pc alder, 2 tone sunburst, med/lg 7.25 maple cap neck, 6105 frets and Fralin Blues Specials.

8. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Sorry, I just edited my message.....so #236 is the one like I described? if so, I missed it. It's my first real nice strat.:)

Do you still have it now?

9. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

having spent a little time with my '96 Retro Classic I can say that its a truely incredible guitar...I think the fact that it is "broken in" adds to the playability and the tone on this guitar is amazing...

simply put, this guitar is the best guitar I've ever played