• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Quality depressing music for rainy days

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
Don't know that I'd call them depressing exactly, but OK Computer by Radiohead and Workbook by Bob Mould have gotten me through some rainy days.
-
Austin

rbrogan

Bon Iver's For Emma For Ever Ago, the song "Stacks" in particular. Also, "Beach Baby" off of his Blood Bank EP. There are definitely some good cuts on his most recent self titled album too

S. Carey
The National
Hammock

If you're willing to venture into more experimental and some electronic stuff, check out Tim Hecker, The Sight Below, James Blake, Boards of Canada, Jon Hopkins (especially his sound track stuff)

dancehall

Elliott Smith forever!

Lots of good suggestions here, I agree with Bon Iver, Sigur Ros, the National and others...

also: The Microphones. The Glow Pt. 2 is great for a rainy day.

Jonathan

Platinum Supporting Member
Brian Eno is good for this.

I cooked a Valentine's dinner for my girlfriend (now wife) the first year we started dating, and put on some Brian Eno. It really got to her, because she broke down and started crying before she even took a bite of food. It was an interesting evening, courtesy of Brian.

That's my cool story, bro.

Boston617

Made 100x more depressing by the fact that David Gold never got to live to see his best album released. Poor bastard was killed in a car accident a couple months before it was released.

Ivo

Her one and only debut album was pretty much made for the rain. Wish she would make music again.

m1911

This is more melancholy than depressing.....but one of the best I've found in years....

dckdog

Silver Supporting Member
This Mortal Coil, Joy Division (pretty much anything on Factory Records from 1981 and backwards), Nick Drake, Berlin by Lou Reed, Ocean Rain by Echo and the Bunnymen, All Cure from Disintegration moving backwards, All Mark Kozelek related stuff. I love this place.......... : )

GulfportBound

I'm not sure if this stuff is "depressing," but it rained all day and night in Las Vegas last night and I was listening to this jewel (which includes the original version of "I Walk on Guilded Splinters"):

grill

My go to was Type O Negative. Now I need something new and depressing to make myself feel better.

Anybody got anything for me?
yeah, my stuff. depressing as hell. not in a good way. :)

type-o is cool.

ProII

Vauxhall and I. great songs, perfectly recorded.

And more than a touch of melancholy..if you want to hear Morrissey at his best, this is the album.

Trending Topics