quality differnece between PRS models?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Carabinerx, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Carabinerx

Carabinerx Member

just how much better do the guitars get as you climb the prs ladder? I ask because the difference between a MIM strat and a MIA strat these days is very small, Ive owned both and sometimes preferred MIM (the neck was sooo sweet on that guitar!). I played my first base model PRS at GC and thought..."why would anyone buy this?" Compared to the fenders and gibsons and gretsch in that range, I couldnt see it. Sounded good, but did not feel at all as nice as the other 3 I played. :hide2

Now it was the absolute base model, but thats what I wonder, if a MIM strat can be as good as a MIA strat in some instances, (and I hope not for that $$!) is there really a huge difference in the model or two above the one I played? NOT CUSTOM SHOP, not at all the same question, so please dont mention that.

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

I can't speak for the SE or S2 line, but all the other USA PRS I've owned have all been of similar quality. The main difference in price was due to the fancy inlays, woods and tops used.

3. orourke

orourke Member

When you say base model are you talking about SE or S2? I've played both (though don't own one yet) and I thought they were really nice for the money. I played one SE that had a very flat wide neck that wasn't my cup of tea but that's a mater of taste not quality. I played a Custom 24 S2 earlier this week and it blew me away, I gotta have that guitar, I'm scraping the dough together as fast as I can.

I think once you get over $2000 dollars for any guitar you are usually paying for things like flame, fancy binding, inlay work etc. that don't really contribute to the feel and sound. Any guitar over a grand should be pretty good though there are always lemons.

4. Droptopandy

Droptopandy Supporting Member

I played a few PRS SE models that felt better to me than some Gibsons that were over 2k. Go figure.

5. Carabinerx

Carabinerx Member

Well I absolutely believe its possible I got a bad one, not all guitars on the wall at GC have been given due diligence or care. I cant remember what model, I looked at 2 but played the less expensive one, it was less than the gretsch I played which was $800. Just seemed the frets and the knobs where too noticeable. I have some guitars many would consider junk, but if I cant notice their short comings while I play, then I say they arent there. But those both stuck out to me the whole time

6. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

I like only USA, Japan or European made guitars... I don't buy anything made in Asia except for MIJ, which are stellar instruments in many instances.

7. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

I bought a PRS SE 245 back in December and have been amazed by how great it is.
    I wondered the same and last month hit the local music store to compare

SE 245
    S2 Single cut
    PRS 250

SE 245 vs. S2

The S2 seemed to have a little more articulaton in the notes and each note seemed to maybe sound a little bigger over the SE 245, but the pickups certainly could have played a part also (which were lower output than the se245)

Feel wise the S2 is obviously a little thinner in body thickness but i wouldnt really give any edge in playability to either one as both felt great

SE 245 vs. 250

Tone wise, the 250 has some resonance and tone that sang a bit more than the SE 245 but not a lot more, especially given the $2,500 price difference.

In the end, I felt that the SE 245 was about 85% as good as the S2 and 75% as good as the USA 250

8. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

All the main USA ones are the same quality just different woods and more appointments.
    S2s have cheaper hardware though. PRS guitars are very reliable in the QC.

9. straycat113

straycat113 Member

Don't know much about PRS guitars except the ones I played have been some of the most beautiful looking guitars I have seen. The funny thing is that while attending the Philly guitar show five years ago a booth had a PRS with a 20K+ price tag and the guitar had a solid black finish with some kind of red cross looking desighn on it which totally boggled my mind.

10. custom53

custom53 Member

The USA ones, at least all the ones I have played, are really nice. The SE's are pretty good for an import. I wasn't impressed by the S2's, for the money, though.

11. blaster

blaster Member

Even though I don't have a PRS anymore, I thought that their quality (USA) were top notch and better than the other brands. The nice thing about a PRS is that they play great, and you will seldom find anything wrong with them.

12. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

I think the SE line is simply the best value per dollar spent available in the electric guitar market today(used). I have a Custom SE that i prefer to the McCarty and US Custom 22 i had and is better to me than most of the higher end gibsons i have tried. I could maybe get 275 for it and thats with the awesome gig bag that comes with it. Im a strat guy so take my opinion for what its worth ($0).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  13. NewbyRock023

NewbyRock023 Member

I Buy/ have bought a PRS every tax season.

s2 Starla
    SC245 57/08
    DGT
    Custom 24 artist pkg
    SE one
    1980s PRS that I grabbed at a pawn. Slab body 3 Singles in it. It was bitchin.

As far as the quality between all models, every bit fit and finish is practically identical (1980s excluded). Even the s2 and SE resonate just as much as the dGT, though the 245 is a sustain machine.

Value wise it's up to you to decide how far your dollar can stretch. You can't go wrong, but once you hit the standard Line, you'll just notice subtle differences. And honestly, I think most of that is due to the different electronics.

Play some and everyone's opinion be damned

14. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

They're all quality in my experience. I have an S2 Singlecut and an SE245, and I honestly prefer the SE...which is not to say that I don't love the S2. Seems like PRS hits it off the bat so well at the bottom end, the only reason to upgrade is for the bells and whistles (and flametops).

15. bricel24

bricel24 Supporting Member

The question was about quality differences between PRS models. Not about what you like where instruments are made.

Carry on.

I have two SE models currently and have had other models before. Awesome quality as you probably have read before. I compared them to the S2 and core models, IMO the S2s are just as great with the S2s being a bit more resonant. Now comparing all to the Core models, then yes, you can definitely tell they are just that superb.

IMO, you can't really go wrong with any PRS guitar, just a matter of preference of how much you want or willing to spend on one.

16. Carabinerx

Carabinerx Member

I will say this, they make great looking guitars. Ill have to take another look now that im back from FL. Their construction process is so impressive I was really expecting to be floored. And they are so open about what they do; they try to offer the best and arent afraid to show you how, I do appreciate that about them.

17. protest

protest Member

Play some Korean guitars. MIK is the new MIJ.

OP, you played an SE model. Ask any shop that sells PRS, Fender, and Gibson, and they'll likely tell you the same things I've been told. PRS quality control is far and away better. Whether you get along with the neck and body shape, the scale length, the balance etc, that's up to you, but the objective part of the equation is that on average PRS puts out higher quality instruments than the other two.

18. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

I can agree with this

19. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Have an '07 McCarty Goldtop, an early 90's Standard 24 and an '08, post lawsuit, SE Single Cut Soapbar. All of them are just great guitars with impeccable fit&finish from the low end priced import to the Maryland built guitars. They need very little seasonal neck adjustments (I live in Michigan w/dry forced-air heat winters, and muggy summers), and as others have mentioned, the PRS neck profiles and scale length's will have something for most everyone - find one that suits you and play.