Quality of wood made the difference? (G&L related)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ribsspare, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Ribsspare

Ribsspare Member

I have a G&L guitar ASAT Special Tribute made in Korea and a USA version ASAT Special. The Tribute is a fine guitar in many ways but the USA takes it to a more refined level. The USA version is more touch sensitive and more responsive in a way that there seems to be a higher fidelity and better detail in sound.

My understanding is that the electronics are the same on both guitars which leads me to believe that it must be the wood that is making the USA more responsive to my touch.

Do you think that the USA is using a better quality wood which is resulting in a better sound compared to the Tribute? Can better wood make a difference? Or is wood just wood?

BTW, both guitars are swamp ash and maple neck.

2. G Man

G Man Member

While the US models do use nicer woods, there is also the hardware. While the Tribute hardware, (bridge, tuners, etc. etc.,) looks the same, the quality of the metals used is not the same at all. Also, the pups are the same, but I'm not sure if the rest of the electronics are the same, but I'm pretty sure they are not.

3. theaxedoctor

theaxedoctor Member

Wood makes a huge difference. Some wood is simply more resonant than other pieces. Take for instance a Martin D15 and a Martin D18. Although both guitars are made in the same factory, the D15 uses saeple for the back and sides, while the D18 uses Honduran Mahogany which is more resonant.

4. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

I would think that good, solid construction practices, with a discriminating eye for fit and finish, would also contribute to the "resonance" of a guitar, which may translate into the qualities that you (the OP) describe.

And yes, electronics and hardware as well. :)

5. Bendimax

Bendimax Member

I'd say it's crapshoot, to a degree, as wood is organically grown and density varies widely even within one piece of wood as well as the construction of the guitar as far as how each pieces are fitted and joined. But density of the kind of wood definitely affects the sound. The best way I know is check them out yourself... each one of them until you find the one sings to you. That's just me.

I don't know whether the fact one is made in Korea rather than US makes one better than the other or not. A good proud luthier, no matter where, would pick out the best pieces of wood/parts to mate, ie, given the choices they have. If they are constructed very cheaply probably none of that matters as fast turn out time is more important than musical quality of each guitar.

6. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

The quality of wood, can make a big difference. After owning G&L's, I had a hard time finding a Fender that I would buy, due to the wood quality.

I also play PRSi. Given the same pickups, I sometimes liked the American model. On certain models, I preferred the sound of the import SE's. Even though the guitars were all mainly mahogany, the sound was totally different. I suspect that the wood can from a totally different part of the world.