qualityissues on the new parker fly?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by PatB, Jul 16, 2006.

1. PatB

PatB Member

hi all, im currnetly thinking bout a new parker fly as sum of u may have seen in a previous post.
    Lately ive been reading a lot of bad reviews bout the newly made fly models, after usmusic took parker over.Issues concerning finish n colorflaws, bad fretjobs n such.It really makes me surprised cause i mainly play a - 97 nitefly wich is amazing.Anyone know anything bout this?
    Anyone have any ideas for something else in that pricerange and weight?(got a shoulderproblem)

Is superman really alive?
    Was elvis really a mutant?:Spank :Spank :Spank

regards
    Pat

www.patrikberggren.com

2. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I have a U.S. made fly mojo which I bought a few months prior to the buy out. The mojo is a very nice guitar with a lot of versatility. I can play blues,rock, country and even some nice jazzy tones from this one guitar! I was told by one of the people on the phone when I called parker after the buy out that the whole operation was moved and that all of the old people were no longer with them. I don't know about you but I didn't like the sound of that. Usually, when there is a buy out by a big conglomerate the quality doesn't get better; however, I have not read anything thus far of quality issues.

3. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I have had a Parker Deluxe in the past (pre "refined" Fly Series, but with the new pickups) and a Fly Mojo. Both are no longer with me, primarily because "regular" guitars, just sound better and are more comfortable for me to play (too bad, because those Parkers had the best necks I have ever played). I was very dissapointed at the Fly Mojo from a design standpoint. Almost all the "refinements" they did made the guitar worse IMO. For instance, they took away the ability to easily change the trem from floating to down-only to fixed and they moved the battery to the back cover plate, which made it difficult to remove the back plate without accidentally ripping out the battery wires. Also, I didn't like the fact that there was crosstalk between the piezo and electric systems. If you switched to full electric, the piezo would still come through. I believe this is due to the way they designed the system and not just a "bad Fly" that I got. Also, after sitting on my guitar stand for a week, the finish started to cloud where the stand was contacting the guitar (something which has never happened to any of my other non-nitro guitars). Basically, for the money I spent (and I bought it used) and just didn't think the Fly was worth it. I sold it off for a slight profit though, so I'm not mad at Parker or anything :D .

My advice would be to try one in a store. If you like it, then buy one. If you find it slightly annoying, pass (in my experience, you will just become more annoyed over time and end up not liking the guitar).

-Austin

4. PFCG

PFCG Member

my parker was the new refined version but was made in the old factory, simply amasing, had some problems with the switches but otherwise awesome. gotta play one and love one , there not for everyone. if you go to a store and it plays well looks nice etc, buy it!

5. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

The ones I saw at Summer NAMM were well made, well finished, well fretted, and played really well.

6. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I think the anti corporate think based on the history of other brands is branded on Parker without evidence. I have pre and post and the quality hasn't changed. There are people who said the Korg Parkers guitars were worse and they weren't any Korg guitars. Korg was only distributing the same factory with the same bosses and the same employees built all the Parkers at that time and before.

Whether you like the features of the Refined or Gen1 guitars is totally separate issue since the Refined guitars were designed by the original factory. That said there are good and bad and I think it all balances out. There are a number of threads dealing with this on the Parker forum right now. Check it out. http://www.parkerguitars.com/forum/default.asp

7. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I have to disagree with you, the new mojo is a step forward not backwards! For one the electronics are better point to point wiring VS. the older more delicate ribbon wired fly.The tremolo adjustment is very simple it takes ony a second to adjust and once its set it doesn't move until you reset it. The older model had a tendency to get loose. I have not experienced any cross talk with the piezo. For improvements what about tone! The fly mojo is the best sounding parker ever! Mahogany body and neck and duncan Jb and Jazz pick ups (duncans personal favorite pickup combination.) Many people felt the older parkers sounded thin this is why they created the mojo. Jazz times did an article about how much they liked the mojo, they too felt it was an improvement. I also do not understand what you mean about the parkers not being comfortable? I don't know about you but I would rather carry and play a show with a 5-7 pound guitar than a 15 pound guitar. I have not had any problems with my guitars finish, maybe the guy that owned your parker prior to yourself used something he shouldn't have for cleaning? I think the thing with the parker is you get it or you don't.If you are a staunch traditionalist then this guitar is probably not for you; however, if you are open minded and want to try something unique then you will probably love it! It sounds like the parkers were not a good fit for you. All I know is I'm not selling mine!

8. atquinn

The thing is, I'm not a traditionalist when it comes to guitars!

1. There seems to be this ideas among Parker owners that only Parkers weigh 5-7 pounds. Not true. I've had plenty of light guitars that weren't Parkers. For instance, my Hamer Diablo. When I'm talk about it being uncomfortable I'm talking about the horn poking into my chest. Even some people that love Parkers complain about this. The basic strat shape if much more ergonomic for me. Anyway, if that was the only problem I had with the guitar, I could have lived with it, but it wasn't.

2. While I think the Mojo sounded pretty good, I'm not sure it sounded better than the Deluxe with the new pickups (different strokes for different folks); just different.

3. I had no problem at all with the old Fly trem system. It took me a little while to get it set up and then it worked PERFECTLY. I think the way it was originally set up was genius. The new one uses tools and is definitely harder to switch modes on than the old one (since you have to use those tools to do it). To someone like me that had no problem with the old system, there's no way to see it other than a step back.

4. The piezo crosstalk thing was something that it took me a couple weeks to notice. All I know is, it didn't happen on my Deluxe and it did happen on the Mojo. Very strange.

I guess what I'm saying to anyone wanting to upgrade from a Nitefly to a Fly is, try some of them out and don't just try the Mojo model because it's "the best". After trying it you might think it's no better than what you have now. Or you might think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Either way, make sure your decision is based on your experience instead of hype and possibly misinformation (in the case of the "pre US Music Corp models are better" talk).

-Austin

9. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I had 3 parkers, Older models, While they are cool guitars , I sold all of them because if you plan on playing out, Their finish gopes bad real fast. they scratch if you just look at them. I tried calling their service years ago and just got the run around by Korg . I see who ever owns them now is not much better. Tried calling Ken Parker in NH and they won`t even talk to you. Cool guitars buy a cheap used one ,baby it but don`t expect any service or plan on keeping it MINT if yo play hard or use it live.
    Sorry but thats my experience

10. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

I have a Nitefly that I am guessing is from around the beginning of the Korg association. I really like it it but it had assorted problems that a guitar that expensive should not have had.

The ball bearings that the strings rested on in the saddles kept popping out and getting lost. Korg's solution was to offer new saddles at $16 apiece. They gave me some run around about why it wasn't warranty. I ended up getting ball bearings at a hardware store and super gluing them all in. this may have had a detrimental effect on the piezo tone, but I never used it, anyway(mine was an early model w/o preamp).

Also, I was playing somewhere in the 3rd to 5th fret area, bending strings, and wondering why the pitch wasn't changing much. I look over and see the nut moving back and forth with the bends. Once again, superglue fixes the problem.

I also tried to order a hardshell case and twice had a regular Fly case arrive at the store before I gave up.

I do like the guitar, though. It was my main guitar for years. The neck, frets and sound were all top notch(once I changed the pickups, of course).

11. captain_rusty

captain_rusty Member

I've got what I consider to be perhaps the best combination - a first-gen Fly Classic with the 2nd generation DM pickups. I'm REALLY pleased with it - had it about 16 months now...

It's true I've heard a lot of stories about the Mojos being less robust...

12. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion but I think mahogany sounds better than poplar anyday. The fly deluxe is a poplar body the mojo is mahogany. Does it sound better? Its all personal preferance but I like warm tones and the mojo will provide that better than the poplar body. If you are wanting a brighter guitar for country etc. then the deluxe would probably better fit the bill. I do not collect guitars I play them and am fairly rough on my guitars and gear and the mojo has held up great. I play jazz fusion and think it works very well for this style of music. As with everything it depends on the context and application there are no right or wrongs.

13. nek

nek Member

I had a Parker Fly Deluxe back in 1995 for a couple years and I liked the playability but never could get next to the pickups. I might give one a try again if the pickups have been fixed.

14. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

Parker was only distributed by Korg, Ken Parker and Larry Fishman were still the guys behind the brand. When US Music bought Parker, I think they sent them packing, boxed up the shop and started making them in Asia. Anyone know for sure?

15. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Parker Flys and NiteFlys are made in the peoples republic of Illinois, just a few miles from the major city of Chicagoing. :crazyguy

Actually the Korean made line all start with a P like a P-36. They were actually conceived when Parker still belonged to Ken. Now Parker is owned my US music and they make the US made guitars in their custom shop. The new SC Fly is the first American made model conceived by the new owners.

16. PFCG

PFCG Member

see i agree with the new piezo eliment bbs falling out. that happened with one of my saddles and i took some real thick copper wire and cut it to fit the space, it works perfect. the finish does get dinged up , but the front has held up real well. as for the neck. i sanded it with super fine grit sandpaper so it doesnt stick. now its super easy to play and glides so nice. Its still my favorite guitar because of the sound and feel. i want a custom shop one though. im thinking a koa body and neck? any feelings? how about a cedar body and neck with duncans or wcrs painted all black or sunburst? i also have the cross talk with the piezo and the magnetics. i think if i ever got another axe id get it without the piezo, because i barely use it.

17. rickboot

rickboot Member

FWIW, I saw a new Parker Mojo in a local store. Finish and setup seemed as good as pre-move Mojo and my old '95 Parker Fly Deluxe.

BTW, I prefer the sound and simpler layout of the Mojo. Now if they would do something about the upper horn that keeps jabbing me in the chest I'd be happy!

18. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

US Music is not a great company to deal with from a dealers point of view.

19. atquinn

They were a vendor I handled when I was a purchaser for a A/V retailer and I'd have to agree with that statement. Don't know that that would affect the quality of Parker guitars however.

-Austin

20. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

The new saddles no longer have bbs or BeeBees or BBs. They have a tine one piece casting that looks like BBs but isn't they are joined together and the saddle is pressed over the edge so they should not fall out.

Parkers are very sensitive to the wood used in the construction they are wood guitars the tiny bit of carbon used does very little sonicly, it does make the guitar unusually strong for it weight. Parker already makes a couple of spruce guitars the Artist for one and I imagine that would give you a good clue as to what a ceder one would sound like. They made both ceder and redwood guitars back in 93. The ceder was a problem because half the shop was allergic to the ceder dust.