• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Quantity or quality?

doesitmatter

Through a series of unforeseen events I ended up with two new Les Pauls in a week:

The 2001 cherry sunburst standard was my only LP for 15 years. It was just a little too heavy and a little too red. So I got a new ES les paul to take care of the weight. At the same time I found a great trade on craigslist for the '58 reissue, which sounds and feels incredible but at 9.2 pounds, it's no lighter than the standard.

It's an embarrassment of riches, I know. They're all great guitars in different ways. But I keep wondering what would happen if I sold all of them for one perfect Les Paul. A 59 reissue with a washed cherry flame top that only weighs 8 pounds or so. It would come at a cost I wouldn't ordinarily be willing to pay (at least 5 grand) but a trade would make things simple financially. Would I miss them too much?

How do you organize your collection? Do you keep more guitars you appreciate or focus on ones you love?

Johnny21

Silver Supporting Member
Wow that is a beautiful collection.

I honestly thought this would be a 3 epiphone vs 1 gibson question.

To be honest, I don't think selling all three and going custom shop (or whatever you plan to upgrade to) would really make that much of a difference. The quality is already there, you're not getting *that* much bang for your buck. I would keep one you like the most and sell the other two. It would be absoultely redundant to me having 3 LPs.

I've always chose quality over quantity. Each and every time I never regretted my decision. I have one quality tele, one quality PRS, and one quality strat from Suhr. I don't really GAS for other guitars much.

In short, you've pretty much hit the upper tier of quality, and there is severe diminishing returns on "how much you spend" vs "how much you get in quality".

Carbohydrates

An R9 wouldn't have to cost you $5k, would it? Or am I totally out of the loop?

Regarding the general sentiment, quality over quantity. I used to keep 12-15 guitars at a time that I played occasionally on rotation and currently am happy with 5 that I play all the time.

doesitmatter

An R9 wouldn't have to cost you $5k, would it? Or am I totally out of the loop?

Regarding the general sentiment, quality over quantity. I used to keep 12-15 guitars at a time that I played occasionally on rotation and currently am happy with 5 that I play all the time.
5K for the ones I like. :rolleyes: The R8 plaintop was around 3K but I traded two guitars for it.

ripgtr

Quality.
For a loooong time, I only had one guitar. But it is a great guitar.
What does having another guitar get you (other than you may need backup for live)? You can only play one at a time. I would rather have one great one to play. But esthetics never were a big thing for me with a guitar. I have never thought "I should buy this one because it is blue and I don't have a blue one". If it serves a different purpose, cool. But for me, just having another one does nothing for me.
One of each is cool, lol. A strat, a tele, a hollow body, a semi, a ... well, that can get to be a long list. :)

LouV

Through a series of unforeseen events I ended up with two new Les Pauls in a week:

The 2001 cherry sunburst standard was my only LP for 15 years. It was just a little too heavy and a little too red. So I got a new ES les paul to take care of the weight. At the same time I found a great trade on craigslist for the '58 reissue, which sounds and feels incredible but at 9.2 pounds, it's no lighter than the standard.

It's an embarrassment of riches, I know. They're all great guitars in different ways. But I keep wondering what would happen if I sold all of them for one perfect Les Paul. A 59 reissue with a washed cherry flame top that only weighs 8 pounds or so. It would come at a cost I wouldn't ordinarily be willing to pay (at least 5 grand) but a trade would make things simple financially. Would I miss them too much?

How do you organize your collection? Do you keep more guitars you appreciate or focus on ones you love?
I m big on one quality one that you would enjoy more. Focus one the one you love and play the hell out of that. Unless your loaded with extra $$$ then keep them all.

duhziner

I think I would sell the Standard, and keep the '58 and ES-Les Paul. The difference between a '58 and a "59 is not as great as you would think. I have recently decided to sell 9 of my 13 guitars. I want to pare down to one Taylor acoustic, a Collings I35LC, a hollowbody, Danocaster tele and strat, my PRS 594, and my '58 R8.

bdm

Silver Supporting Member

I don't know what's what in the photo but based purely on what I see the one in the middle is definitely more attractive for whatever thats worth.

doesitmatter

I don't know what's what in the photo but based purely on what I see the one in the middle is definitely more attractive for whatever thats worth.
Left: 2001 Les Paul Standard
Middle: '58 Reissue
Right: ES Les Paul Standard

I've kept every guitar that I have even been bought, been given or bought myself, it doesn't matter whether it's a guitar that I like or hate, whether I will play it or just leave it in one of my guitar racks or hanging off a wall. I keep every guitar, and would never sell one of them under any circumstances.

Tim Plains

I don't have as many Les Pauls as you and don't see the harm in having four. If you love those three, keep them all and still add the R9. It really is no different that the R8 you have now but I fully understand the idealism. You're suckered by the 59 mystic and a flashy top like many of us have been.

If you must sell, pick the one you like best and sell the other two. They should pay for the R9 or close to it.

doesitmatter

Thanks for all the advice! Upon further reflection the ES will be returned.

I'll keep the two solid bodies for now but if I come across a R8 or R9 in the 8 pound range that plays as well, I'll trade or sell one or both of these to make it happen.

Chicago Slim

It looks like you need something other than Les Pauls.

Seriously, what is the purpose of your guitars? Are they working instruments, or do you just play at home and collect? It would be hard for me to let a light weight ES LP go.

I was a working musician, and the guitars were tools, for different circumstances. I'm a PRS guy, but I have other less expensive guitars, that I can take places, where they might get damaged or when I play for free.

neastguy

Silver Supporting Member
I prefer just having one LP.. it gets more playing time and I don't have to pick which one to play.. tend to bond with less guitars

edward

Silver Supporting Member
Answer to thread title: Quantity is superfluous. Quality, as you define it.

Rule number 1: Never sell anything you truly enjoy to fund another purchase before you acquire that new piece of awesomeness.
That new gear may not (as has often been my experience) deliver on the hype or expectations, and then you've you've lost twice! Always acquire that new piece of wondergear first, then weigh what to sell later. More costly initially, and time consuming, to be sure, but absolutely solves the problem of regret. If one cannot fiscally swing that purchase, then don't do it. We're not saving lives here ...this is gear! Be smart. But there is no shame in enjoying what gear you love, regardless of how many there are. :)

Edward

doesitmatter

It looks like you need something other than Les Pauls.

Seriously, what is the purpose of your guitars? Are they working instruments, or do you just play at home and collect? It would be hard for me to let a light weight ES LP go.

I was a working musician, and the guitars were tools, for different circumstances. I'm a PRS guy, but I have other less expensive guitars, that I can take places, where they might get damaged or when I play for free.
Oh, I've got more guitars. ;)

I also have:
2 strats
Tele
Rickenbacker 330 12
Gretsch Electromatic
Martin DM-12
Yamaha APX III
Applause Ovation

I am a gigging musician so I want a guitar I won't have to change three times a set. The last couple of years I've really been focused on getting the right paul because it's my favorite guitar sound and feel and the others are all in great shape.

ripgtr

Inspiration and Enjoyment
Me, I am more inspired by one great instrument than several good ones. Actually, I am more inspired by the music that comes out, if it sounds good.
But that is me personally. I am not a guy who buys a lot of guitars. I get a good tool and use it.
The other day, I bought an h535 - great guitar. I do have a hollow body, but not a semi. It filled a niche. I don't think I would get another one, it would be kind of redundant. (Note, this is the 3rd guitar I have bought in the last 20 years).

Personal choice. OP was asking for opinions. My opinion is, one great guitar is better, for me, than 3 or 4 good guitars.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom