1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Quench Marshell thirst with Class 5...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Songman, May 16, 2011.

1. Songman

Songman Member

Is that doable? Is Class 5 good enough to satisfy Marshell Tone want??? Why not just get the big Marshell? Cause they are big.

2. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

If you're a bedroom player ... definately yes ...

If you gig occasionally .... maybe

If you live and breath heavy metal .... probably not

:bonk

3. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Well... hahaha... there's Marshall tone and then there's Marshall tone. I had a Class 5. Very nice amp. These days I'm rockin' a SL through an Aracom into a 4x12. I can play whisper quiet cleans after the wife goes toes up and I can bypass the Aracom to let my neighbors know that I, too, can make an ungodly loud racket on demand. lol

And, yes, both the head and the cab are heavy suckers, but I'm not gigging out. And, yes, the Class 5 is considerably easier on the wallet. Depends on what you're really looking for. I decided it was big iron, even for a bedroom player. Some may think I'm nuts but I don't care. A Class 5 will never cause your chest cavity to quiver like mad. Not that I do that on a regular basis, but, boy, it sure does feel AWESOME when I let the SL rip. Yee-haw!

4. schwa

schwa Member

I've been making a study of Marshall tone at restricted volume. I have two "small" Marshalls (2061x and 2204S), and they are both quite loud. The most common complaint about the Class 5 is that it has the Marshall tone, but is still pretty loud.

Since I like small Marshalls, I'm looking forward to trying out the Class 5 head. I also have an attenuator (Faustine), and even though it's a pretty good one, my current amps sound better with less attenuation. (The 2061x sounds better at less atenuation than the 2204 at greater attenuation).

A super lead is maybe the best Marshall tone, but not the only good one. From what I've heard, a cranked Class 5 is pretty good as well.

If you want some Marshall goodness, I would think it would be worth it to give the Class 5 a chance.

5. Grenville

Grenville Member

I had a Marshall Class 5 and realllllly wanted to like it... but there was something just "not there" for me.

I didn't have the rattling problem, and the tone was fine, but... well... maybe it was the 10" speaker I didn't like. I tried NOS valves which DID make a very positive difference, but not enough.

I have previously owned an 18w clone and a Marshall 2061cx 2x12 cab which was a sensational setup.

6. grizdeluxe

grizdeluxe Member

I liked my C5 combo and will probably pick up the head. I have to say the Vox Lil Night Train does a fantastic lower volume Marshall tone through a Greenback 12" on the Thick mode. There is so much more gain on tap than the C5 also.

7. dju

dju Member

I have a class 5 and a 76 SL half stack with PPIV MV. the class 5 is ok but it just doesn't really compare to th SL using the MV. I don't know if it's because of the 1x10 making my pant legs flap around my anckles using the class 5 versus the 4x12 making the whole room vibrate. all I can say is that I'll keep 100w heads and at least 1 4x12. I'll hang onto my class 5 for the moment as it's small and portable but if my first attempt at building an amp from scratch works out I think I'll have a happy middle ground. I'm taking the 1987 circuit and replacing the el34's with el84's and making what I hope are the correct component substitutions for it all to work correctly.

a side note, I'm single and live in a house so I don't have to worry about wisper quite tones but I do try to keep it down enough not to bother the neighbors with my less than stellar playing.

dj

8. sleshnyc

sleshnyc Member

class five sounds a lot better through a bigger cab.

9. Luke V

Luke V Member

To me the C5 is WAY TOO LOUD for a bedroom amp. You'd have to have an attenuator or go with something with a master volume.

10. gbravo

gbravo Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have a Class 5, as well as, a JTM30 and two 50W Plexi's. The Class 5 is a great home amp - it's got great tone and is loud, but it's no where near the thundering Plexi tone. I use the Class 5 as a practice amp; the JTM30 as a gig/band amp and the Plexi's for the once-a-week, my wife's not home and the neighbors are away fantasy time (with an Aracom attenuator!).

11. nnick

nnick Member

The new Class 5 has a low power mode that will do bedroom volume.

12. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

I'll take my 1987X with Lar/Mar PPIMV and/or my Alex attenuator.
    I load it in a 1x12 combo cab for smaller stuff.

13. Songman

Songman Member

That low power mode is only for head, no?

14. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

I think only the "new" combo has the low power mode. Don't think the head does. Although, I would have to get the head...more speaker cab options that way.

15. Zeon45

Zeon45 Member

I tried the C5 but it rattled like crazy and sounded kinda harsh. Guess I'll just have to make due with my JCM800 4010 combo and 1959T 100w Head. :dunno

16. Songman

Songman Member

How can I verify if the one currently being sold at Musiciansfriend is version 1 or 2?

17. weese77

weese77 Member

I seem to remember reading about the head having the feature as well (tho sort of hidden). Like you had to insert the headphone jack half-way to enable low-power mode (janky, I know).

18. grizdeluxe

grizdeluxe Member

They both do it. Combo has the switch, and the head you just plug it 1/2 way like the original.

19. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

I owned it twice. Both times I got rid of it, was probably the 10" speaker, like you said. The psychological factor of knowing that I'm playing through only a 10" speaker is a bother also.

Now I tried 12"ers with it, and they have the cabinet sized and tuned so that that 10" sounds bigger than a 12" in a different cab, so running it through another cab wasn't the answer, but like you say, there was just something missing. Just because they can acoustically make the 10" SOUND bigger by multiplying the bass response, a 10" seems to me to just not sound as (----) as a 12".

Not sure what the fill in the blank is. Maybe something in how a smaller area speaker cone reproduces the frequencies compared to a larger paper cone. Or maybe a smaller magnet. Or maybe the word 'ten' sounds too much like the word 'toy' to me. (doubtful) :)

In any case MARSHALL IS NUTS FOR NOT PUTTING A 12" IN THERE. So is Blackstar and most of those other 5 watt amp guys. (Epiphone gives you a 12" though, bless their hearts)

20. Luke V

Luke V Member

Ask them if it has a three piece back, is so it's the second version. The middle piece of the back is a metal grill thingy.