Query for Brits/Euros - Wolftone and Maughn

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trisonic, Jun 15, 2005.

1. trisonic

trisonic Member

Any one had experience of the above two amp companies they can share? Played their amps?
    Hope I spelled them right!

Thanks, Pete.

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

Spelling corrected.

No one tried these yet?

Thanks, Pete.

3. big hair

big hair Member

I have heard a Maughan at a guitar show. Very expensive at to be honest it didn't really interest me, even with the Maughan guy demo'ing them :( Nothing spectacular I'm afraid, but that is just my opinion

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

Thanks BH - I must say that they look very "clinical" somehow....

Best, Pete.

5. kingink

kingink Gold Supporting Member

There is a Wolftone pickup company. I don't know anything about the amps with the same name.

6. Power Freak

Power Freak Member

I second that, I wasn't too impressed with everything I heard (unfortunately I couldn't play it myself.)

I also heard the demo of the wolftone amps too but again it didn't strike me as a tone that was out of this world. It was OK but I prefer other things really.

kingink: I think those are different companies. The pickup company is wolfEtone and the amp company is just wolftone.

:BEER

7. Macleod

Macleod Member

Yessssieree, we are different companies. There's me, Wolfetone Pickups, the Wolftone amps company, and there's also a Wolftone pedal company as well.
    Funny, innit? I may start looking into trademark infringement if another one pops up.
    :confused:

8. itsLars

itsLars Member

Hi Pete,

don't know if this is helpful to you, anyway: Have you tried Matamp?
    My long search for the amp ended there! Soundwise you can get very different animals....from stone/doomer applications to vintage stuff ....you name it.
    I own an Barenthien BB7 which is based on the C7 (single-ended amp head, 7 watts) and it is absolutely terrific in terms of sound as well as build quality.

If you are in UK you should take a trip to the factory. It's for yure the best way to decide for the right model.

Their amps are really top notch and retail for much less than most other boutique stuff.

Bye,
    Lars

9. trisonic

trisonic Member

Thanks, I know Matamp. Just curious of these now two.

Best, Pete.

10. Cheebatone

Cheebatone Member

Hi Pete,

Maughn amps, from what I understand, are very good looking but a touch pricey and vaugely unimpressive. None of the mags over here are falling over themselves with praise for them and the people I know who've heard them being demo'ed have been non-plussed.

As for Wolftone, well - this may be a coincidence, but - they appeared on the scene immediately after the Gibson amps (that were made of here in the Trace Elliot factory) ceased production ...and in all the same formats too. I've not heard a Wolftone amp, but the Gibson amps were NOT well recieved either.

Sorry the news wasn't any better!

Regards,

Charly

P.S. One new(ish) amp maker who is getting good reviews over here is Sheldon. You might want to check them out. Don't forget Cornell either. The amps Dennis makes for Eric Clapton and Hank Marvin recieve no more love and attention than the one he'll make for you.

11. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

The sole US distributor (for now) is a guy named Shane dba British Audio Service, who was originally the US factory auth repair center for Trace Elliot then Gibson Goldtone amps. He's in the Chicago burbs. I think you may be right that there could be a design / mfr connection with Wolftone...

While you are also right that the later Goldtones had some issues once Gibson started messing with the circuitry, the early (brown) Goldtones were Trace Elliot Velocettes and direct descendants...great amps. I have a Velocette V12R and a Goldtone RVH30 head, both great EL84 amps...(though not the stunner my Kingsley is, details soon :cool: ).

12. Power Freak

Power Freak Member

Seconded! Sheldon makes amazing stuff, I've met the guy who designs their amps and he's a great guy too.

On July 4th they are releasing their "metal" amps tpo complement their already popular "vintage" styled amps.

:dude

13. trisonic

trisonic Member

Yeah, I know Denis too. Grew up 15 miles from him in Essex.
    Just wanted to keep in touch with latest makers over in Blighty..........

Thanks, Pete.

14. Hi guys

I visited the guys at wolftone last week with my PRS in hand loved it.

Come payday this month the babys all mine. Also great guys and very helpful.

Everything you need in tone heaven. I wish more manufacturers
    would give out the two year warranty on tubes and everything.

I suggest that you check them out pronto.

One happy punter

15. Old Fuzzface

Old Fuzzface Member

Hi Pete,

I haven't found either of the 2 you mention around here yet.

The latest UK brand that has caught my attention is Mango amps but they're direct sales only so I haven't heard those yet either.

OTOH, I do have a friend who lives in South Wales that I really ought to visit soon. :)

16. trisonic

trisonic Member

Ian,
    Thanks, the DUO18 looks verry interesting indeed. I like the idea of the "Vox" or "Marshall" pre-amp.
    Wonder what it sounds like, though?

Best, Pete.

17. rockindillo

rockindillo Member

Interesting to read and hear different views about WolfTone amps, as they're actually made by a company that was set up by two good pals of mine, over in Heybridge, Essex (about half a mile down the road from the old Trace plant).

Let me fill in a few details... sorry if this ends up reading like a commercial, but I always speak as I find and felt a few of the earlier comments about the amps were more than a little unfair...

The creative and marketing input comes from my mate Dave "Werewolf" Richardson, a fine guitar-player and an even finer singer/frontman with a great Essex band called The Swamp Cats.

Technical expertise comes from Gavin McLaughlin (I've probably mis-spelled that, so sorry, Gav!) who also runs an amp repair/service company called GM Audio which still carries out a lot of the warranty repair work and routine servicing from Trace Elliot/Gibson.

The Gibson connection is a very definite one and the coincidence highlighted by a previous poster is correct. Gavin ran Trace's service department in Maldon right up until the day a few years back, when Gibson announced (two weeks before Christmas!) that they were closing the factory down forthwith and laying off all 200-odd employees.

The Wolftone amp took the very wonderful Gibson GA15R (the rebadged Gibson version of the original Trace Velocette 15R) as a starting point, but moved on quite rapidly from there to evolve over the course of a couple of years into the rather splendid heap of tubeage and chrome you see today.

[​IMG]
    The amp is a 20-watt, class A head, which retains the simplicity and sonic purity of the original designs (including the brilliant half-power feature that reduces the output to a still very giggable 9 watts), but adds master volume, improved reverb and tremelo to the mix.

It's hand-wired, but built onto a painstakingly researched and specially designed, hi-spec PCB, using only carefully-selected premium-grade components. Gavin's PCB design is a long way from the run-or-the-mill, mass-produced and flow-soldered PCB amps we all know and distain. He maintains his PCBs are every bit as effective as any boutique point-to-point design and I have to say the sound of the amps tends to bear this out.

The amp is available with a choice of three Celestion-loaded cabs - a 1x12. a 2x12 and a 4x10, each of which sounds surprisingly different to the other.

The amps got a very good review in two UK mags - Guitarist and Guitar Buyer - and are now being gigged by an increasing number of decent players here in the UK.

The amazing Ian Siegal recently toured with none other than Muddy Waters' son,Big Bill Morganfield, with each using a Wolftone rig.
    Houston, Texas guitarist Hamilton Loomis is currently on tour in the UK using a Wolftone setup - he's raving about his sound and wants to ship one back to the States.

If you're in the UK and in any way curious about these amps, I suggest you contact Dave or Gav at the factory. I know they'll be happy to answer any questions, or arrange a demo there for you. (They make great coffee, too!)

Check 'em out at http://www.wolftone.co.uk

PS: Incidentally, I saw and tried the Maughan amps at a trade show last year and was singularly unimpressed. I know WolfTone is my mates' firm, so I may be a tad biassed, but in comparison with the WolfTones, the Maughans seemed rather bland - and don't get me started on their 1960s school record-player cosmetics!!! As for Sheldon, again, I've not heard one I liked yet. (One high-profile UK guitarist I know who endorses them didn't actually seem all that impressed either - he told me he only used the amp because he got it for free!) Interesting visuals, though...