Query on 65 Twin Re issue.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by veldt666, Jul 3, 2008.

1. veldt666

veldt666 Member

I just picked up one of these, & although I "LOVE" the tone, it seems a bit underpowered.
    I know it's only 80 watts, & I'm used to using Twins, (Rivera II, & Red knobs).
    The 65 is fitted with Fender/Groove tubes,6L6 (Blue).They look like Sovteks. And GT pre amp tubes.
    Does anyone else have a similar opinion?
    I ask, because I keep hearing people say, they cant run these 65 re issues past 3 or 4 on the volume, but this is not what I find?

2. TonePowers

TonePowers Member

Something doesn't sound right. These amps are "ear bleed" material once you get them passed 6 or 7. I would swap out the tubes and at least eliminate this as the issue. Does it have the standard Jensen speakers in it?

3. Arp488

Arp488 Member

if you are being serious which it seems like u are (only reason i say this is becuase people always bitch about how loud they are and bla bla) I play mine in the basement jaming alone at 4 or more sometimes so I agree with you in the fact that i dont find them too loud and i use mine in a band setting all the time and love it... Maybe swapping the tubes will work but whichever tubes mine came stock with (going to change that and speakers at somepoint) sound good and yes its loud but ******* when you find the sweet spot on a twin look out because its a very magical sound...

peace

4. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I gig with a Twin Reverb Reissue and pedals. I usually have the volume on 2 or 3 at the most and I can hear myself just fine on stage with a loud band. It's a screaming loud amp!

5. jda

jda Member

Where do you have the tone controls set? They effect the overall volume as well. Try turning down all the tone controls, and cranking the volume. Then you can just slightly crack open each tone control and get some cool sounds.

If you turn all tone and volume knobs to 7, it should be very loud.

6. CGrisamore

CGrisamore Member

Interesting thread. I gigged with a Twin for 15+ years and and have never had the volume up past 4. Hard to imagine that it's not loud enough!

7. joel98z

joel98z Member

Something ain't right there.. In a band setting my twin is fine @ about 2 deping how heavy footed the drummer is that night.. Anything past that and the paint is coming off the walls..

8. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I gig with 65 Twin Reverb reissue and made two changes that made it much better:

1) Changed the V2 preamp tube out to a 12AY7, this allows you to turn the volume up to 4-7 without blowing the windows out.

2) Changed the stock speakers to Eminence Tonkerlites, this takes the weight of the amp down to ~50lbs.

Now I have a killer sounding amp that weighs only 5 lbs more than a Deluxe Reverb!

9. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Now that's some cool advice!:AOK

10. veldt666

veldt666 Member

It's fitted with Eminence Legend speakers, (No previous experience with these).
    Gigged a few times, & the amp sounds great, just underpowered.
    Are the Legends not very efficient, (IE: dB rating).
    As I said my normal tactic on a Twin of any sort, is to install either Phillips /RCA 5751's, or JJ / Ruby Pre amp tubes, or Phillips 7581 / WGB, or TAD 6L6GC Power tubes.
    Then use either EVM12L's, or Tonkers, or Swamp Thangs.
    Now thats my Idea of a Loud & clear Twin!