Quest for Plexi-in-a-Box Pedal

Stratman76

Gold Supporting Member
First off, I've never had a Plexi or even played through one, so I don't really know what authentic Plexi really is. What I have discovered is that I like the voicing/sonic architecture of pedals that claim to be Plexi-like. Hot-rodded Plexi appeals to me as more available gain is a good thing.

Here's where I've landed when considering Plexi-style pedals-

In Contention
Rockett Animal (relatively new)
GeekMacDaddy British Ball Breaker
Menatone King of The Britains (moved up)

Second Tier
Tonebone Plexitube *Radial
HAO Rustdriver (added here, thank you!)
Rothwell Hellbender
Wampler Plextortion
Wampler Plexi-Drive
Jetter Gain Stage Purple (added here)
Lovepedal Purple Plexi

Can you think of one I've missed?

Last edited:

tubeboy76

Rothwell Hellbender for authentic Plexi. Can't beat it. I also get great over the top Plexi-ish tones from the Polysaturator.

todd richman

For modded plexi-the Xactone Atomic Overdrive is stellar. You can get these through L.A. Sound Design-give David Phillips a call.

Schappy

Check out the Wampler Pinnacle.

Also, if your handy with a soldering iron its hard to beat a BSIAB II from guitar gadgets at $60. In fact many of the Marshall in box pedals have borrowed greatly from the design of the BSIABII.

If you dont want to solder, check out the CMATMODS Brownie. It is BSIAB copy.

prickley

Can do Plexi and even Train Wreck..... I love this pedal..... Hands down can go toe to toe with any Booster.... drive the Amp to the edge...

I have a Wampler Pinnacle II, nails the Plexi and EVH Brown sound thing AMAZINGLY well. So yeah, basically a hot rodded Plexi tone. I prefer it to the other Wampler Marshally pedals.

xntrick

the BSIAB II kits looks interesting but the instructions don't seem as concise or thorough as the kits from BYOC

Schappy

I had no problem putting my BSIABII together.

It sounds great and there are tons of mods people have experimented with.

Did I mention it was $60.

j4j

You might want to check out the Pro Guitar Shop videos of the Rothwell Hellbender vs. a real Marshall Plexi.

The BSIAB2 is good, but I think a little too compressed.

j4j

-DC/AC-

If you've got the money to spend, or can find one used, I can't recommend the Himmelstrutz Fetto enough. It does every type of Marshall Plexi sound you can imagine. I have it set for an 80's metal/EVH type sound but I used to have set for a crunchy AC/DC overdrive and it was great for both.

6Tones

I had a HAO rustdriver that had some good grind.
The Digitech SC-2 is pretty good marshall bang for the buck as well.

schwa

I was playing tonight and wanted some Marshally tones and plugged my LP into my two "small amps"

The first was a BlackStar HT-5 into a closed back 1x12 cab with a V30. It was fun, but a bit fizzy.

I was wondering if I could do better, and plugged into a Carr Mercury with a ToneBone PlexiTube in front. I have to say the PlexiTube really coaxed this Fender style amp well into Marshall territory.

I'm not sure if it was because the Carr is a much nicer amp, or the PlexiTube was bringing the goods.

If you have a chance to try the PlexiTube, I would say it's worth a spin.

(I gotta pull out the P-90 LP and see what it thinks...)

Trending Topics