1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Question - 6550s?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by bubbagomez, Feb 3, 2006.

1. bubbagomez

bubbagomez Member

I have to retube my amp, and know very little about 6550s. Any suggestions?

2. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

NOS would be the best but are getting kind of pricey. SED winged C are pretty good for new stuff. You might want to consider KT88's as well depending on your amp and application.
    Dave C

3. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

JJ KT88's recomended here...

-Jon

4. samwheat

samwheat Member

I bought a pair of NOS GE's for 80 bucks; from a local guy.

5. plowkraut

plowkraut Member

what is the difference in sound between the 6550's and kt88's? I've got a NOS tung-sol and anoher NOS 6550 labeled RCA (looks like the ts with a different label) in my traynor bassmaster and my clean tone is amazing. What are kt88's known for?