Question about 2-in-1 effects and loop switchers

Axe_34

I've done a lot of googling but haven't found a definitive answer....I'm thinking about getting a bypass loop switcher like the Voodoo Labs PX-8.

I have a Flint which is a reverb and trem 2-in-1 pedal. I'm assuming that if I have that pedal in a loop I wouldn't be able to turn on and off each effect separately using the switcher.

In other words, I wouldn't be able to have a patch with just reverb on and another with just trem on.

8len8

The switcher only routes the audio signal to/from the effect pedal.

If the pedal and switcher are MIDI then you can do what you want. Otherwise, no.

fenderjapan

World Heavyweight Champion
Silver Supporting Member
The Flint has no midi switching capability that I am aware of. So you would have to modify the pedal somehow to allow external control of the footswitches via a TRS jack or something along those lines.

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to get two Flints.

Benny Jones

I've wondered the same thing myself...there's a YouTube video of tom Quayle demoing the boss es8, he has separate patches for both seperate channels of his Wampler dual fusion and one with both on, so i guess it must be possible?

Black_Label

Silver Supporting Member
I've wondered the same thing myself...there's a YouTube video of tom Quayle demoing the boss es8, he has separate patches for both seperate channels of his Wampler dual fusion and one with both on, so i guess it must be possible?
You either need separate ins and out for each effect or a way to switch between the two effects from the switcher (midi). Some pedals, like a 4-hole KoT, have the separate ins and outs so you can put each side in a loop. If not, then your pedal will need midi so you can send PC or CC messages to it to turn off one side and turn on the other. There's no other way.

Gibs210

Loopers don't switch the pedal on/off, they switch the signal routing from feeding an individual loop on/off. So unless the 2 in 1 pedal has individual jacks for each pedal (only one in aware of that has this are the truetone pedals), there's no way to toggle the 2 effects independently other than with their onboard switches.

You could modify the pedal in question by replacing the footswitches with jacks and plugging them into a centralized (and custom built for this application, Though I think some of the more expensive midi switchers allow for external switch control) loop switcher but I've heard strymon footswitches are a little tricky. Plus not many loopers allow for control of amp footswitch features (which is what this mod would fall under).

davestrings11

with this loop switcher, could i run, say overdrive in loop 1 in front of the amp and delay in loop 3 in the amp's fx loop and hit one button to recall both loops?

nnnnnn

Some pedals (e.g. Suhr) have a non-MIDI control jack for remote switching. So loop switchers that have control out jacks can control them beyond just switching the whole pedal in/out.

(The Boss ES-8 and ES-5 can do this; I don't know if the loop switcher you mentioned can, though if it can do MIDI you can add a small(ish) MIDI to control jack box - Voodoo Labs make one, amongst others - assuming of course that the pedal you want to control supports it, or can be modded.)

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom