1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Question about a Taylor

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by JMorgan, Feb 14, 2009.

1. JMorgan

JMorgan Member

I walked into a local guitar shop today for the first time in 2-3 years and noticed a Taylor 310ce on sale for 50% off list (about $1050). I asked why and was told it is a late 2005 model that had been there since early 2006. It was not pre-owned, just never sold. I played it for a while and inspected it and I could see nothing wrong with it. I was told that most of their customers prefer auditorium and concert shapes over dreadnoughts. In the back of my mind I keep telling myself that it is too good to be true. There must be something wrong with this guitar to hang on the wall at that price for that long, right?

What do you all think?

2. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

The guy in the shop is probably telling you the truth. Sometimes retailers just end up with some good stuff that, for whatever reason, does not move and they need to turn it. Play the thing again, take a friend with you who really knows guitars and if you dig it, buy it before someone else beats ya to it.....

The Taylor might be hanging around because it has the older ES electronics in it, but that is easy enough to upgrade and the original system sounds good anyway...

3. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

That's a good price but it doesn't surpise me that it's still hanging around, after all it is a DREAD! Actually, I bet your biggest dread players are looking for a D-28 Martin--Taylor is more known for their x14, x12 size, not so much the dreads. If you like it, buy it, they're selling new on E-bay for a couple hundred more than that.

4. JJK

JJK Member

I'm sure they are telling the truth. From experience, some stuff, even really nice instruments, just don't sell for whatever reason. It sounds like they are selling it at cost or maybe just above cost to make a few bucks. I'd get it!

5. padavis

padavis Member

Same thing is happening at a local shop here... sad to see...

For what its worth my 410 has plenty of low-end and top-end sizzle but its not as dark as a 28. My next guitar will probably be a 510 or higher end dread from Taylor they have what I would called presence compared to Gibbys and Martins. Does that make sense? Its like an amp when you use the presence control and I find I can tame that from a Taylor better than I can get that from a Gibby or Martin.

6. geetarman

geetarman Member

I agree he's probably telling the truth as Taylor's aren't known for their Dreads the x14 Grand Auditorium shape is really their bread and butter. If you like the guitar and there appears to be nothing structurally wrong with the instrument then take advantage of the deal plus it's not pre-owned so you have the Taylor warranty too.

7. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

I wouldn't worry about especially if you are in a place without much of a market for higher end guitars. Our local shop has a fairly rare Taylor, early 30s National, a Martin or two, '54 Gibson J-200, and a '57 Gibson L-50 hanging on the wall. They will more than likely sit there until he goes down to a guitar show and sells them to one of the mega music stores who will end up selling the guitar for alot more than the local guy is asking.

8. 6789

6789 Member

Find out what year Taylor changed their neck attachment design. Maybe this model is right before the new easy to remove and shim neck attachment. That shouldn't prevent you from getting it but maybe other people just wanted the newest Taylor neck technology.

9. JMorgan

JMorgan Member

Thanks for all the input. Call me strange, but I actually preferred the sound of the dread over the 314ce hanging next to it. To my ears it just had a more full, natural sound. Not as much as say a Martin, but more than any Taylor I have ever played.

10. jcotten

jcotten Member

If it's a 2005 model, it definitely has the NT neck. It probably has the finger joint at the headstock, too, though that's only bad if you don't like the look. It's plenty strong.

I'd say if you like this guitar, go for it! Many dealers are getting hungry, and are willing to move some of their older inventory at great prices. Don't be afraid of a Taylor dread. A great many people love 'em! Still sounds like a Taylor, but with the slightly bigger bottom end that a wider waist can give.

jcotten

11. curtis

curtis Member

it happens sometimes, the ES system really does put people off (understandably) but as Long2Play said - it can be upgraded.
    I'd make sure the warranty etc is all good and snap it up if youre into it
    :)

12. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Silver Supporting Member

I have a Taylor Dread 510E L9- and I love it. I have had several Martins and now own two Collings Dreads and there is something about my Taylor I really like (mine is a short scale mahogany)- I feel like the guitar was a great value and I really enjoy playing it. Lastly, for me Taylors just seem so easy to play.

13. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

Taylor dreadnaughts tend to have more "suck-icity" than anybody else.