Question about bass/guitar amps

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by caminton, Mar 22, 2015.

1. caminton

caminton Member

So first off, I'm new to the bass side of things...please don't crucify me for asking questions if it's a common knowledge thing.

I'm in a band where it used to be two guitar players, a bass player, and a drummer, with both guitarists singing. Our bass player just moved 3 states away, and we're kinda bummed about it because we're probably not gonna have the same chemistry with someone we just bring in to play with us.
    To remedy this, I'm considering switching to playing bass. I'm not extremely talented on bass by any means, but I've played some to know how it works. I'm primarily a guitar player and I have all guitar gear.

Here's my first (and main) question: could I use my 68 CDR as a bass amp? The "custom" channel is a Bassman tone stack, and I'm not exactly sure if that's gonna provide enough "oomph" when we play live.

Second question: what is a good alternative if I can't use my CDR? I'll have to buy a good bass too, and my budget (for bass AND amp) would be around $500, give or take a little.

Thanks in advance for the info.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the guitar amp is not gonna work, it'll not be loud enough, will the blow the speakers and sound terrible while it's doing it.

there's a million "what cheap bass rig should i buy?" threads here; the answer is usually a used mexican fender P or J, and a used bass amp of some kind (it almost doesn't matter) that's at least 300 watts.

bass heads into separate cabs are always better, a 300w head into a 4x10 cab would be all you need for a long time.

3. Ivo

Ivo Member

Squier Vintage SS Modified Special Jaguar & a Fender Rumble v3 200w is a solid, affordable rig.