Question About Binding

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by emjee, Jan 16, 2015.

1. emjee

emjee Member

The binding on the body and neck of my guitar is really white and doesn't match the pickup rings which are cream color.
    Can someone suggest a way to change the color of the binding to a cream color? I just don't like the white color.
    I have heard some say there are some shoe polishes that can be used? Any truth to that?Thanks!

2. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

Usually, the binding is under the lacquer clear coat, which will yellow naturally with age. You can mask and shoot a tint over it, if you must.

The problem with using stains, etc on the binding is keeping it on the binding.

Of course this all depends on what guitar this is and the materials used. Mostly, I'd advise waiting and let nature take its course with the yellowing and aging process. It should look great in a decade or two.

3. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

I would just change the pickup rings to white, to be honest. I know it's not perfect, but at least it will match. The fix is to buy the guitar with the correct color binding because it's not easy to fix after it's built.

4. emjee

emjee Member

Thanks Ron! I never thought about it just aging naturally. It is about 14 years old now so I imagine in the next 15 yrs it will yellow nicely..

5. aro

aro Member

I "aged" the binding on a Les Paul recently. Very easy. I masked the body and neck and sprayed over it a few coats of tinted aerosol nitro from reranch. Done. Most likely, no sanding needed.

6. ChuckR

ChuckR Member

Careful. That process assumes the base finish on the guitar is currently nitro. If is is, that will work fine as the two finishes will melt together and be great. If the base finish is not nitro your mileage may vary...

7. emjee

emjee Member

Wow, thanks Chuck. Mine is not nitro it is poly. Glad I held off.

8. aro

aro Member

True...

If I really wanted to age a binding, I would still try it with some poly from Home depot. I've never done it, but it's no like the old binding will melt away. I believe in experimenting, with considerable patience and attention to detail.