Question about channel switching with a Budda Superdrive 18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Navigator, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Navigator

Navigator Supporting Member

Well, I'm thinking the Superdrive 18 may be my next gigging amp. Has to be lower wattage since we generally keep stage volume fairly low. And has to have a decent clean. Doesn't have to have it sparkling, but enough to get a robust country or funk clean when it's called for.

Question one: Can the Superdrive 18 get good clean tone even when the lead channel is set up for a well overdriven tone?

Question two: Can you easily adjust the volumes of the clean vs. lead channels so that the lead is louder, if that's what you're after?

I'm looking forward to checking out this amp since I generally use a clean amp live and use pedals for dirt even though I love distorted amp tones far better than pedals. I've heard some nice clips of the Budda and, for an affordable channel switcher the dirt tones sound right up there with some of my favorite amp distortions. Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Eddie V

Eddie V Member

To question one: Yes. The Superdrive 18 gets a good clean tone even when the lead channel is set up for a well overdriven tone. I like my cleans a little dirty and the cleans from the Budda SD II 18 are great. It's not a gritty clean but a smoother tube distortion break up but still clean. If you want to hit it hard it has a great rhythm tone. I love it for most of my rhythm playing. Super cool.

To question two: Yes you can easily adjust the volumes of the clean vs. lead channels so that the lead is louder. You just need to tweek with it a bit. It also takes pedal amazing and the tone from the tubes is sooooo much better than any pedal. If you play one of these it will blow you away. I cant say enough about the amp. I love being able to get the tones I hear on records/CD's when I play live.
    Jeff and the Budda guys are also fantastic support.
    Brad E V

3. Andre357

Andre357 Member

+1. The above description is spot on. The budda sd18 ( I have the 1x12 combo ) has become my main gigging amp. It really is very versatile and just so easy to get great tones from.

Nice and light and easy to transport as well.....

also, the band I'm in covers quite a bit of country and funk ( you mentioned these styles in your post ). The sd 18 excels in these genre's IMHO..

4. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

To question two: just want to clarify; depending upon where the channel 1 gain is set versus where channel 2 is set, you can get quite a difference in volume when switching between the two. There is a channel balance mod to address this. Schematic is available from Jeff at Budda.

5. Ricker

Ricker Member

The Budda sd18 is currently my main gigging amp.
    I have the SD80, Bogner Shiva, Koch multitone aswell.....Just been on the 18watt kick at the moment and it's really working.

I have the Vol Mod pot added to both my superdrives.
    This adds a pot to the back of the amp and you can use it like an extra volume on the drive channel.
    It only has a certain range so it cannot accommodate everything.
    The main reason for this mod is so you can drive the clean channel harder and then raise the drive channel to keep up.
    It seems like you want your clean channel clean so .......I doubt whether you will need to do this relatively simple mod.
    Really for the peoples that want the clean channel dirty.

Also the Pull brite switch on the Clean channel helps spank the Channel quite a Mid.

Because I find that the dirt channel is quite dark....I always run the mid pull swith out.........this really brightens it up.

Cheers
    Rich

6. puls

puls Member

The SD18 is my main amp. To get cleanest tone, turn the master volume WAY up & then regulate actual volume w/ the individual rhythem/drive level controls. I also changed out v1 with a NOS 12at7, noticable improvement on clean tone. I also prefer the pull-out mid frequency "modern" setting, but that's just me.

hope this helps

jwp

7. Navigator

Navigator Supporting Member

Thanks much for the feedback guys. I'm looking forward to checking the Budda out.

8. arfalax

arfalax Member

All the comments on this amp are so right on. It's the best amp I've owned for switching from the gain channel back to the clean and having the volume where I wanted it. The clean channel as noted above is not a bright, chimey tone but a smooth clean....but you could brighten it up with the excellent eq. Just a beautiful amp that can give so many tones with the pull mid/modern switch and the way it takes pedals.

Oh, and I love a good OD pedal and I've found myself going straight in to this amp more than any other I own. Matter of fact, I'll have my Eternity or Zendrive 2 going, disengage it and not miss either, just enjoy a different OD tone that's just as satisfying in it's own right.

9. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Again, as everyone has said...these amps are amazing my SD-18 1/12 combo is the best channel switcher I've ever had...at Reasonable volumes...I like a little more EQ available...more bass,,,a hair less mids...I have a Boss EQ and Boss Reverb in the FX loop[...they both work great...also, the clean channel works great with OD pedals....for a different lead tone than the od channel has, try using a Jeter GSR or Eternity in the clean channel...amazing...I can't say enough great things about this amp..I tilt mine back a bit with a rubber door stop...works great...