1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Question about chip in Tim Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tclardy, Jan 21, 2006.

1. tclardy

tclardy Member

I have had mine a little over a year and love it. About a month ago it started making noise, so much so that I knew something was wrong. I called Paul C. and he was pretty sure it was the chip gone bad. He said he would send me one so that I did not have to send pedal in.

I waited a couple of weeks and called back and got his wife and she took a message and I never heard back. I called him a few days later and he apologized and said he lost my address. He stated he would have one in the mail in the morning. That was a week and a half ago and still no chip.

I never realized how much I use this pedal, I keep it turned on all the time when playing. I really need to get it fixed. I don't want to bother Paul C. as he is real busy it but I would like to get it running again. I guess I am finding out one of the negatives of buying this small maker boutique stuff. Hard to get the stuff fixed is what I am seeing because the maker is too busy to get to it.

I did not realize how easy it was to get these until I saw the thread about changing to the 1458 chip.

My question is this, does the brand of chip matter? I noticed the 4559d chip is sold at quite few places under several different brands such as Fairchild, national semiconductor, etc.... I am also gonna order the 1458 chip to try out too.

Are all these the same if they are the same chip number?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. playon

playon Supporting Member

I'm guessing if they have the same name they are interchangable, but still might sound slightly different, you just have to try them. They're cheap!

3. drolling

drolling Member

Hey Tim, I'm waiting on a Tim myself. This is the very worst time of year to get a hold of Paul as he's at NAMM right now and had been pulling lots of overtime in preparation for the show.

Took a few calls to reach him in september, and I didn't get my Timmy till the end of december. Always a blast talking to the guy - it's clear he loves his work and is really committed to his customers - but I'm not holding my breath waiting for the call back.

As far as I can tell, the brand of op-amp's not important- just the number. And there are several that will work just as well, maybe better than the stock chip that Paul uses.

As far as servicing goes, I really appreciate the fact that he doesn't pour black goop all over the circuit. So many pedals are gooped now, and that stuff's almost impossible to remove..

4. tclardy

tclardy Member

Hope you get yours soon, you will surely love it.

I am kind of curious as to what happened on this. I talked to Paul twice plus left a message with his wife. He has stated he would mail it out twice and I never got it. I am trying to be understanding but i have been without my pedal for 5 weeks now. I just wish he would have told me where to buy one instead of me waiting for him to mail one and it never arriving.

He has been real friendly and courteous. I just wish things like this never happened!

Tim

5. drolling

drolling Member

I guess there's a remote possibility it got lost in the mail. I get so much stuff online now, and a small percentage has gone missing over the years.

Tim, if you do end up ordering a variety of chips from smallbear, mouser, etc., I'd be very curious to hear how they react w/your Tim. I've ordered another Timmy (along w/the Tim) just so I can fool around w/alternate op-amps.

It was changing the stock opamp in my Eternity pedal that got me hooked- made a tremendous difference in the sound. The chips cost almost nothing and they're way easier to work with than caps, resistors and a soldering iron- but I did spring for the little tool to pop them in and out after busting a couple of them.

6. asdf

asdf Member

Where did you get that little tool for popping them in and out, Small Bear?

7. drolling

drolling Member

No, I got it at a big electronics shop up here in Canada. I don't even know what its called, but I'll ask my rack & board building buddy (he does all my soldering- my eyes are shot) next time I see him.

Thing only cost a couple bucks, and now I wouldn't even try to pry one out w/my fingers - that's how I've managed to break off those little pins in the past..

8. PaulC

PaulC Member

Tim,

I sent the chip out to you last Wed. It was last weekend when we talked the second time, so while it may seem like a week and a half I got it out only a day late from when we talked. Monday was a post office holiday so it didn't go out, and Tuesday I got tied up running a million errands before going to NAMM, so I dropped the ball. Wed morning (4am) I sent it off on the way to the airport. I just got back this morning, so if you would contact me to let me know if you've gotten it. Here would be better since I'm sure the 200 readers of this thread so far are dying to know if I sent the chip or not. If it's not made it to you I'll send another...

Also in regards to your comments about my not returning the calls you left with my wife I wished you had written about what we talked about because I thought we were cool on the matter. So for those reading this wondering why here's what I told Tim. My day job is designing/building guitar amplifiers for Heritage Amplifiers. We had a major trade show this weekend, and I've been working 24/7 since the first of Dec getting some new models designed, and getting everything ready for the NAMM show. It's been rare that I've gotten home before 10pm for almost a month. I'm sorry that it's a problem, but the amps are my bread and butter, and I have to put the time needed into my day job when called for. I apologized to you about not being home to take/return your calls due to work when we talked.

Also don't let your bad experience with me keep you from wanting to deal with other "small maker boutique stuff". In my case I'm not trying to be a player in the pedal game, so I don't have the time and resources to do this "pro". Other people are really trying, and are putting everything into it they've got, so I would feel terrible if your dealings with me kept you from trying other peoples products.

Regards, Paul Cochrane

9. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

theoretically all opamps are the same... and the 1458 is a dual opamp with a standart pinout. If you just want to get it working you could pick up a TL082 from radioshack... it should work fine, but my guess (depending on the circuit which in this case i am not familiar with) may be a tad brighter sounding.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I also mentioned the "chip pulling tool" and they used to be found at among others, radio shack. They work great, BUT...I was doing it all the time when an electronics tech, and actually often didn't have my tool kit with me, and it is almost as easy using a small screwdriver (not too small...not the miniature, or maybe the biggest one in one of those sets, or slightly bigger). The blade has to be smalle width than the chip, making sure it won't short or even touch either pin side.

Trick is to be gentle and patient. What you do (provided you have clearance on top and bottom of the chip, looking down at the chip) is simply gently insert the screwdriver blade at the top end of the chip, between the chip and the socket, gently lever it up just slightly (too much and you will bend the legs...really slightly) then do the same at the bottom, back to the top, then bottom, just keep doing this a few times and eventually the chip is sitting "up on its legs" and you put the whole screwdriver shaft under it and lift straight up.

Voila. It really is a piece of cake, the key is patience, and not trying to do it all in one or two levers...

11. tclardy

tclardy Member

Paul,
    Please accept my humble apology for not being clearer in the first posting. I am in no way upset or feel that you have slighted me in any way. I am sorry that I did not state in the original post that me and you talked about the miscommunication with the call involving your wife. You have never been anything but polite and friendly in any dealings I have had with you.

The angle I am coming from is that I am not an electronics person and did not know what chip to order myself. The reason I figured this out was that I saw the post about the 1458 chip, and the picture of the circuit board in this post. With this information I went out and looked at mouser and some other sites and was able to figure out that these were easy to get. The main purpose of my post was to get enough information to order it myself and not have to call you back again and bother you.

I work in a business where we are serving govenment agencies doing IT support so I understand customer service fully. I think the breakdown in this came after my first call and my address getting lost. If I would have been told the model number and how easy it was to get this chip from a vendor I would have done so back in December and this would have been resolved. Believe me, I know how busy you are and I do not want to be a burden in this manner. I felt kind of bad having to call you that last time as I can imagine your workload.

This just shows how good of a pedal you make in that there really isn't anything else out there that will replace it. I am dependent on it and once I did not have it it was a major deal to me. I also have empathy for your situation where your amp design career is your number 1 thing but your pedals have become so desirable it is turning into a bigger thing than maybe anyone thought it would be.

The lesson on this for me is that maybe I need to order a Timmy or something as a backup to my Tim. That part is my fault, and I will handle it. Like I said before, please accept my apology and thanks for the great pedals you make!

Thanks,
    Tim

12. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I've had both a Tim and a Timmy. I bought both used through TGP members, After reading this thread I feel that I have missed a great opportunity to converse with a remarkably committed man. His response is typical of what I have read here, and on other forums, written by others in review of his products and service. Try and get this type off service from any other area in your life and you'll go cold and hungry. It has been stated repeatedly this this is a side project of his and that he requests personal contact to keep things in perspective. Most of our significant others don't like dealing with our gear clutter let alone HUNDREDS of people(not noted for their patients) calling to order, inquire and critique the system. I know I don't like waiting for things (gear) but as an old girl friend would say"how does it feel to want"?!!!!!!!!

13. buzzdog

buzzdog Member

Paul's a great guy and his pedal is one of the best made in my opinion. It's a staple on my pedalboard and I'm thankful he's generous enough to do it as a second job. Everyone should try the TIM or TIMMY at some point and it's more than worth the wait. I've heard lots of stories of Paul being busy but I've never heard of anyone disappointed with his ultimate follow-up. I can't think of many other people that can be said about.

Paul - I'm eager to hear about the new Heritage models. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Victory combo but want to hear about the new stuff first.

Bryan

14. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

With all the crap going on in another thread here with "pro" pedal builders, it's refreshing to see a post such as the one from Paul Cochrane above in this thread.

Don't know if you have the time to read these posts Paul, but thanks for demonstrating integrity in your business dealings.

And don't work so freakin' hard!

15. tclardy

tclardy Member

I just had ups bring me a package from Mouser. I got two more of the stock chips and two 1458 chips to try. I popped the chip out and back in. Was a little tricky getting new chip in without bending pins.

Woohoo I am back in business, problem fixed. I have been without my Tim for 4 times of playing but not more. I ordered a Klon and recieved it the day after my Tim went bonkers. Sounding real good with the tim on all the time and then boosting the leads with the Klon.

I can understand how this happened and have absolutely no ill will towards Paul C.. I am understanding of his situation and can only imagine how busy he stays. I have sent several people his way, hope it wasn't too much, seeing how busy he is. I am just thankful we have people like him making quality products, I feel good about giving my money to small business folks like Paul C., much better than giving my money to big corporations who could not give a crap about their customers or employees.

Tim

16. PaulC

PaulC Member

Hey Tim,

I am sorry I came across like I did. I should have waited to post after I got some sleep! Or better yet I should have just called you. I understand where you're coming from with wanting to order the chips yourself. I could have given you the part numbers up front, but I just thought it'd be easier to send you the chip instead of you ordering one where the postage from Mouser would have been 5x the cost of the chip! It turned out I was wrong! So no hard feelings about your post at all. Like I said before - I just wished I had the means to do this on the scale it's trying to be.

BTW did the chip ever make it to you? Did you by chance order it from mouser along with the other ones you got?

Feel free to call me tonight if you want. It's really no bother, and you should never feel like you're bugging me!

Later, PaulC