Question about choke sizes for upcoming Marshall JMP 1987 lead spec build

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Xlch721, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Xlch721

Xlch721 Member

I ordered one the Triode Electronics 1987 lead spec kits and was wondering how much of a difference to the overall tone a 3H Choke would make VS a 5H or a 20H Choke.
    What Choke would you use if it was your build ?
    This is my first big amp build after doing multiple 18 Watters and General repairs to my own amps and the occasional fix for a friend.
    Triode has not sent the transformers yet but im pretty sure when I ordered the kit I selected the 5H choke because it was the closest to the one from the Metro Amp site 8H choke.
    Thanks in advance
    Bryan

2. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

In terms of inductance, hardly any. The energy storage capability of the choke is pretty much negated by the PI filter design itself. A bigger choke will filter out slightly more residual hum, but so would a resistor.

3. Xlch721

Xlch721 Member

The way the person I spoke to at Triode explained it was if I wanted an aggressive slightly woody tone (ala Jimi Hendrix) go with the 5H choke, If i wanted a little more compressed tone ( Ala AC/DC ) go with the 20H choke. They told me they would have no problem swapping the choke out as long as I let them know before Thursday when they ship the rest of my parts. Currently I have them shipping me the 5H choke because it was the closest to the one on the Metro Amp Site.

4. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I think the greater resistance of the 20H choke vs the 5H is the more likely cause of any tone difference than the inductance itself.

5. Xlch721

Xlch721 Member

Ok My understanding from what the folks at Triode told me said the tone would be tighter bottom but a bit more compressed. Should be good either way I have a FF clone, Rangemaster, OCD.and a TS9 along with the Preamp of my Echoplex to slam the front end with anyways along with a compressor so I should be good to go. Been years since Ive owned and played through a Four Holed Marshall cant wait.