Question about compression before OD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Laxrappa11, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member

ive never really used OD and compression together, as i find my OD fine on its own, and that i prefer using compression on clean lead work. as i understand fx chains, comp is commonly used before od. however, doesnt this negate any touch sensitivity of your OD? any thoughts?

2. CiceroTJones

CiceroTJones Member

It does a bit... but you have to decide on your own whether it's a good thing for you or not.
    In my rig, compression does wonders for my OD tone, but a lot of people want that absolutely touch sensitive response. Me, I'd rather have a sustaining, normalized tone.

Personal preference is key.

3. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

depends on the comp used-the tone press gives the 'front' of the note back,dynamically.Other comp units squish,and keep squishing.Works that way whether clean or dirty...

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

With a really good OD and a really good comp you can still get touch response. I use a Barber Tone Press with almost no blend. It helps to drive the OD a bit but I can still pick lighter and clean it up.
    YMMV

5. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I need touch sensitivity. Not so much with high gain stuff, but that's compressed enough as it is. I can't see using it on anything but clean stuff. But that's me. I want feel.

6. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member

thanks, anyone else have any thoughts?