• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Question about connecting my phone to audio interface?

EncoreBlade

Hey all. So basically I have a Tascam US-800 that allows for a Coaxial Digital In. I was just wondering if you guys know a way to connect my phone into this connecter. I tried searching, but I couldn't find anything.

My sister and I like to jam (her on drums, me on bass or guitar) in my little room studio. We do it mainly as a hobby. I do, however, enjoy mixing and so I like to record our little jam sessions and just mess around with it. The problem is, we play through so many songs that picking out the tracks and importing and matching them to the other tracks is too tedious. I basically want to record the audio coming out from my phone into the interface so that I don't need to import all the songs we play to and match it to the corresponding tracks. I also didn't want to take up a mic/instrument input since I do use 5 for drums and 1 for my bass/guitar. That's when I remembered the Digital In connection on the interface.

Is this ok to do, or is it even possible?

Last edited:

fisticuffs

Your phone most likely only has analog outputs. It's probably too costly and redundant to convert it back to digital for this purpose. Use the line inputs L/R instead.

Nevermind, this silly thing doesn't have any line inputs outside of the mic inputs 1-6.

greenhilander

Why not get mini to RCA cable? If there is RCA (10)? They have all kinds of connecters. I use mini to RCA for my on board, but have to get RCA to quarter inch to use it on another board.

fisticuffs

Why not get mini to RCA cable? If there is RCA (10)? They have all kinds of connecters. I use mini to RCA for my on board, but have to get RCA to quarter inch to use it on another board.
That RCA is output only. The Mic ins are combo jacks that take 1/4" line level but that chews up those inputs. It's an "8" input device but 2 of them are SPDIF only. It would be cheaper to buy an interface with more inputs than to convert analog to spdif. I'm wondering what on the phone you want to record in the first place. if it's recorded music on the phone it is going to be easier/sound better to drop the mp3 right onto a track in your DAW than to record it as a separate audio track.

rockitcity

Checked specs,RCA's are outputs on this interface. What are you using the phone for? Is it playing back a track that you are playing to? If so, seems you could sync the phone to your recording software (via itunes?) and then line up your preferred take to it. But otherwise, you'll have to use one of the mic/line inputs to get the phone audio into the interface.

greenhilander

Well there you have it! Or maybe burn it to a CD and use the digital output from player if it has it? Beats me, good luck.