Question about covered pickups....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 89strat, Mar 28, 2008.

1. 89strat

89strat Member

I have a seymour duncan custom custom with a nickle plated cover I'm thinking of putting in my strat. Can I take the cover off without damaging the pickup?

2. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I have heard pickups made with covers that have their pole pieces exposed will not sound any better if you take the covers off. However, if you put covers on pickups that are not designed for it, it may mess with the tone a bit because the pole pieces are under an extra piece of metal.

3. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I think the cover would look nice on there.:AOK

4. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

+1 for covers look cool :)

5. 89strat

89strat Member

Well then.....what do you think of chrome pickup covers for my single coils. I know, I know.... I like everything to match.

6. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Go for it! That would be very unique, and look great too.:cool:

7. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I'm very pro-covers. They look great.

8. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i've always thought humbuckers with covers on them looked cooler for some reason.

9. 89strat

89strat Member

I'm glad I went with all of your advice and kept the cover on. The pickup sounds great with this combination. It's an 89 American Standard with a duncan custom custom in the bridge and a dimarzio area 61 and 58 in the neck and middle set up with a super switch which splits the pickups in the 2 and 4 positions for really impressive inbetween tones. The pickguard is a parchment from Warmoth, had to be special ordered, that's why it took so long for a pic. After all the things I've done to this, this is the first time I've been happy with the sound of this strat.

[​IMG]

10. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

Looks cool too, the regular strat thing with an uncovered HB at the bridge is getting old... Now go bananas playing it! :banana:banana:banana