Question about "cracks" in guitar paint

Crackshot

My guitar doesn't really have cracks in the finish - but it does have these "cracks" that are underneath the top finish - if you rub your hand over these hairline "cracks" you don't feel them - so they really are not cracks -

How would you describe it because I am trying to list it on craigslist/ebay and i don't want to say "cracks"

My guess is that it was in a cold area and went to a heated area and made these happen -

Also - you can only see them from a certain angle.

Sean French

My guitar doesn't really have cracks in the finish - but it does have these "cracks" that are underneath the top finish - if you rub your hand over these hairline "cracks" you don't feel them - so they really are not cracks -

How would you describe it because I am trying to list it on craigslist/ebay and i don't want to say "cracks"

My guess is that it was in a cold area and went to a heated area and made these happen -

Also - you can only see them from a certain angle.
Like stated that is called finish checking.
Normal for nitro finished guitars that have had the finish shrink from cold temps and expand from heat.

tamader74

Yes, call it finish checking and some people actually think it's cool and do it on purpose to their new guitars.
I'm one that thinks if it's done the right way,...I'm good with it. Now you probably don't wanna' know what I think is a 'right way'.

But, I'll tell ya' anyway,...TIME!!!. I've had several Strat.'s and Tele.'s that after time got a little finish checking right where the neck attaches to the body,...Just tells me a have a good guitar, with a great fitting neck pocket.

I had to sell my Grandmothers '54 ES-125 when I got ill a few years back (which made me even more ill),...It was bought Brand New by my Grandfather for her. She gave it to my Uncle, even though it was promised to me (all he knew was Gibson=$$$ in reality).

He got himself in 'little' jam in '75, I bailed him out by buying it, only if he realized he would NEVER lay his hands on it again, and don't ask. Well. I owned it from June '75, until May '10, and I'm proud to say there was zero finish checking on the guitar when I had to sell it. I would NEVER pay for 'finish' checking, but guitars and the marks, checking, honest play wear, they have, and the stories on how they got on the Instrument, never had an 'issue' with that. Tom

groovington

Finish checking. I have an '84 LP that has some finish checking, and it really gives the guitar a nice vintage quality to it's look. And with the shaw pickups, it has a really good tone to match!

Trending Topics