Question about current Fender Japan quality

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by (((echo))), Aug 20, 2006.

1. (((echo)))

(((echo))) Member

I know that in the past fender japan guitars have been a secret weapon of sorts and are known for great build quality. I have been really interested in a '62 custom reissue telecaster, the sunburst one with cream binding, but I can't afford a USA custom shop one. So my question is, what is the current quality of guitars coming out of Fender Japan? Also, has anyone played the guitar I mentioned and have any opinions?

2. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

My buddy has one that is awesome, but it's probably 10 years old. I know other people that have purchased MIJ Fenders recently though and they're very happy with them.

3. Unburst

Unburst Member

I have one that's a few years old, maybe '03-04 and it's awesome, great build quality.

I wouldn't even think twice about getting a CIJ Tele custom, do it.

4. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Do it. Great guitars at very low prices. You could replace every piece of hardware on it and still have a great axe for relatively little bucks :AOK

5. tdu

tdu Member

I had an 04' 52' RI I recently sold. It was fantastic quality, and I only sold it because I was looking for something with a different neck radius and larger frets. I have played both MIJ and CIJ and I feel the CIJ's are just as good. It cost me less than a MIM Classic series here, even with shipping from Japan.

6. Brick

Brick Member

I can let you know soon...Saturday I ordered a CIJ Jazzmaster from Ishibashi and from all the research I did I will need to make a pickup change which is fine with me since this will be my third guitar with Lollars.

This is my first time to order from Ishibashi, but guys I know and trust have bought teles and strats from by the bunches from them and after a pickup change have been very (very) happy.

Of all the reasons they gave for buying from them; price, different model not offered in the states, etc...build quality is always mentioned as being very high.

÷

7. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

I have ordered 2 strats from Ishibashi and they are the best value fender guitars for the money. Another point to note, the quality on these guitars are out of this world, I have been to shops who carry them and my conclusion is that the consistency in quality is second to none. 10/10, I have yet to see one which is flawed.

Word has it that Fender Japan might raise it prices early next year due to pressure from the US headquarters who are wary of cannibalisation.

8. (((echo)))

(((echo))) Member

Awesome that was what I was hoping to hear. So as a follow up, I am a bit nervous about dealing with Ishibashi. I'm sure they are nice, but the language issue, monetary issue and long distance shipping are a bit intimidating. Is there an english speaking rep I can talk to there who can explain some of these things?

9. Brick

Brick Member

I just emailed them at web-shop@ishibashi.co.jp and got a response very quickly. They are 13 (?) hours ahead of EST so your response might not be instantaneous. They have several english speaking reps and by all accounts they couldn't be nicer to deal with. I dealt with with Daisuke and it was great.

Shipping to the US is supposed to be very quick...sometimes as short as three days. I don't expect mine to be that fast but it will be a nice surprise if it is.

You have nothing to lose by sending an email :D