Question about disabling distortion in a Roland JC amp

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Neer, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Neer

Neer Member

ok, yes, I love using a JC-45 amp for my steel guitar on gigs. The clean sound works for me and my multi-effects unit sounds great with it. I’d prefer to use my 100 watt Twin with JBLs, but let’s be real.

The problem is, no matter what I do, I always seem to end up with distortion knob creep—even the slightest movement of the knob destroys my sound.

How can I completely disable that circuit or bypass that pot to eliminate this issue? Is there something I can do with the footswitch jack to keep the distortion off permanently? The only solution I've been able to come up with is to leave a footswitch connected in the back of the amp in the 'off' position--I'd prefer something more permanent and less reliant on an external gadget.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  2. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

I can find no example of a Roland JC-45 schematic to look at. The gist of what you need to do is to:
    • determine what type of connnector is used to plug into the footswitch jack (that controls the distortion), and buy one, and
    • determine what the real footswitch does to disable the distortion, and
    • wire up your plug that you bought to provide a permanent 'no distortion, please' connection to the amp's footswitch jack electronics.
    It shouldn't be very hard, unless the plug is a weird/unobtanium style. In the 80's JC120's, all the footswitch does to disable the distortion is to provide a connection between ground and another point, both of which are available at the footswitch jack connections.

If you can link a JC45 schematic, you will get more specific help, I'm sure...

3. Neer

Neer Member

Thanks, man. Yeah, it's a JC-40, sorry. I kind of figured there would be a simple solution. Without going inside and seeing the jack situation--I'm guessing probably a circuit board and a nylon jack--an external fix might be the only option to bypass at this point. I'm currently using an old, simple one button footswitch.

4. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

So, it looks like all you need to do to disable the distortion is get a right angle 1/4" plug, solder it so it is tip to sleeve shorted, plug it into the distortion FS jack on the back and party on.

Neer likes this.