Question about drop d tuners

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by geoangus, Mar 6, 2015.

1. geoangus

geoangus Member

I'm contemplating going back to a Floyd type guitar but one of the stumbling blocks for me is the need to drop the E-string down a full step. We typically play tuned down a half step, but there are a few songs where I need to detune from the E a full step from there.

I've never used a D-tuna or equivalent - how well do they work? Do the other strings really stay in tune when you flip it? And how easy is it to install? I have a mid-90's Ibanez RG - is it a do it yourself upgrade, or should I bring it to a tech? Or do they work with only specific locking trem setups?

Thanks

2. custom53

custom53 Member

I have a D-Tuna on 2 different guitars. I installed them myself. Very easy to do. One works perfectly but the other it seems I have to keep adjusting it. Very similar guitars. It must be something I am doing wrong.. I will have to take it apart and start over because the first one I installed works like a champ. But the D-Tuna is the only one I have ever worked with. There are many out there that I have no idea how good they work. But I do want to find out more about the "hipshot" for my Les Paul..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/hipshot-gt2-electric-xtender

Picture taken before I put the D Tuna on the right one..
    [​IMG]

3. ixnay

ixnay Member

The other strings only stay in tune when you flip it if you do not have the floyd set up to float. It has to be set to dive only or it will definitely knock all the other strings out of tune.

4. gulliver

gulliver Member

So 2008 ... accurate harmonizers are the new drop-D. :Devil

5. GilmourD

GilmourD Member

It has to be non-recessed or blocked to dive only for the dTuna to work.

Also, it needs to be OFR or Gotoh Floyd style with the "whale tail" to work. It won't install on your Edge trem.

6. geoangus

geoangus Member