Question about EVL speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ryan04, Sep 1, 2008.

1. ryan04

ryan04 Member

Hey guys, I just picked up a 2x12 Dr.Z combo prescription amp today and it has EVL 200 watt speakers in it. I haven't played it because it's being shipped from nashville, but are the EVL speakers any good verses say a celestian blue, green, or gold? Thanks

2. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

The EVM 12L is a great speaker that many professionals have used for years, but it's all a matter of taste. You may prefer Celestions or speakers made by Eminence, but for high power applications or for a neutral frequency response they excel.

3. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

If you do a search here you'll find many threads highly praising the EVM12L. It's one of the all time great guitar speakers. It's not the best fit for every amp, but it definitely sets a high standard and is considered a classic. It's not like a Blue or Gold, but I've heard that the Celestion G12K-100 is somewhere close.

4. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

The EVM 12L is just about the most transparent guitar speaker you will find. They are heavy compared to anything but a PA or bass speaker and just the weight alone will deter a lot of people from loading them in a cab, especially a 2x12 or a 4x12 cab.

If what you're looking for is the sound of a blue or gold, this isn't the speaker you want.

5. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

I love my 2x12 with EV12Ls. They are heavy, but they can rock without being too woofy or muffled. Detailed and not ice-picky. Great for pedals... did I mention heavy?

Coli likes this.
  6. Aquachrist

Aquachrist Member

I realize this is an old thread however for those with this same question.. in a nut shell it really depends on what kind of sound you are going for.. if you are looking for the best British rock/crunch speaker the EVM 12L does the job like no other speaker can. I have three different 212 cabs for different applications and in the cab that I use for that classic rock/crunch tone it can't be beat! In that Cab I have an EVM 12L-16 combined with an old Marshall Vintage 30. Thick Rich Tone that is so smooth with over drive however if you are looking for something a little more refined I use my second 212 Cab which has a Celestion Alnico Blue paired up with an old Marshall Vintage 30 speaker as well and for that Pristine classic Bluesy tone that cab is superb.. very defined.. The Alnico blue delivers that smooth creamy warmth and the Vintage 30 gives you the sparkle and chime beautifully. I would also like to mention here that the Marshall Vintage 30 speakers I am referring to are the ones they made with sort of steel/metallic silver looking speaker frame/bracket. Don't ask me why but for whatever reason they sound cleaner than any traditional Vintage 30s I have found. So there you have it... My third Cab is a Combo of the Alnico Tone Tubby with the same Marshall Vintage 30s that I am using in my other two cabs.. it sort of is a mix of those two cabs and in truth doesn't really get used that much as I usually for the Alnico Blue/Vintage 30 combo for most of my needs.. it even delivers a very nice smooth bluesy crunch tone.. so for me when I want pristine I go for the Alnico/V30 combo and when I want that classic British Crunch/Growl I use the EVM/V30 Combo. There really hasn't been a need for an in between sound. Hope that helps anyone out that isn't sure which way to go.