Question about filter caps....

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by mcdes, Feb 7, 2012.

1. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

Been doing some reading up about my heritage vox, and looking at uograding some parts. At this stage probably like for like if i can.

Say I had 47uF/350v caps..... If I got ones with a higher voltage, ie, 47uF/500v, is that bad? What difference will it make?

If someone can enlighten me if the the voltage matters, or wether its a max rating?

Also in the caps, for 100k nF? is that .1, .01 or .001?? My guess is .1 but I wanna check first.

Thanks in advance.

Ps, yes yes, lethal voltages, be careful. Thanks

2. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

Voltage rating tells you how high applied voltage the capacitor can withstand.
    You can always use higher rated capacitor to replace a lower rated one but not the other way round.

"100k" cap: k=1000pF, do the rest of conversion to uF :)

3. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

I've heard that higher voltage rated caps last longer, so you should go with a higher rated cap if space
    and cost considerations allow it. Another feature to look for is the temperature rating. The higher the better.

4. mcdes

Great thanks guys!

5. Billm

Billm Member

Yes, I've seen this in practice. In the first generation of Blues Juniors, Fender used 500 volt caps, even though the B+ was around 330V. They switched to 450V caps from the same vendor. I never see bad 500V caps, even though they're the oldest, and they always seem to have good, low ESR numbers. I replace a fair number of newer 450V caps.

6. mcdes

yea, mine have 350v ones, so ill change them to F&T 500v

7. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

The temp rating is something to consider as well, as these things tend to "cook" in guitar amps.