Question about flanger...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by waylay00, Jan 29, 2008.

1. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Can the Maxon FL-9 get somewhat close to the Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress?

Also, what are some recommended flangers out there, besides the ADA?

2. waylay00

waylay00 Member

3. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

Try and find a NADY Jet sound...rare but really cool flanger...

4. blood5150

blood5150 Member

not sure. I just know that for me... the regular old MXR Flanger is about as close to perfect as it gets.

5. Birddog

Birddog Member

I'm really happy with my Ibanez CF-7. Does chorus and flange very well. The flange can go from quite subtle to over-the-top jet-plane like sounds very easily. Lots you can do with them, and they're built like tanks -- every bit as tough as my Boss pedals.

6. UmJammerLammy

UmJammerLammy Member

The FL-9 isn't really like the EM at all. It's much more of a harder sounding flanger than the EHX unit.
    You could probably get your hands on one of these for cheap...
    [​IMG]

Good stuff.

7. 4styx

4styx Member

I bought a greybox version for $15 out of curiosity.It's a very good sounding Flanger.If I ever have to use a Flanger it'll be that one!:AOK

8. bbocaner

bbocaner Member

I don't think the FL-9 gets too close to the DEM. Both are a really thick flange, but the FL-9 is more aggressive and "crude" sounding, not as pretty as the mistress can be. The defining feature of the electric mistress is the little warble it has at the ends of the sweeps. The FL-9 doesn't do that.

I'm not sure what to tell you. I'm a BIG flange fan, but I still haven't found the "perfect" flanger. I don't care for any of the Boss options. I think the MXR is too dark sounding. I've never tried an ADA, but they are rare and expensive. DEM sounds GREAT to me, but it's huge and can be noisy (clock noise! blegh!!!) -- and doesn't have as much manual control as some of the others.

The stereo electric mistress doesn't sound anywhere near as good to me as does the DEM, and doesn't have as much manual control of the sound. And if I wanted chorus AND flange I'd use a chorus pedal after a flanger. I don't really want them on the same pedal.

Flanger hoax is huge and apparently hard to dial in. I don't want my flanger pedal to do phasing, I want classic flange!! :p

I've never tried some of the more exotic options like the foxrox or the lovetone, but I understand they are more useful for crazy sounds than they are for classic flange tones. The lovetone is too hard to find and too expensive. the foxrox TZF often sounds ugly to me in clips, and very dark sounding -- and it is reputed to be very subtle which is NOT what I'm looking for. I like flange on clean sounds and pre-overdrive, and the TZF reputedly does not excel at those scenarios.

I was all excited about the Toadworks Barracuda, but the delays in it coming out are deflating me, and the soundclips they finally posted on their website did not do it for me. I'm anxious to try it out for myself.

The BYOC looks promising, but it was supposed to be out last fall and there's still no new news on it. Last I heard it was being redesigned? It's supposed to be a mash-up of features from the MXR and the A/DA circuits, in stereo. Interesting... but when will it be out, and I'm not sure I can trust anything I have to build myself! ;)

I just ordered a rocktron hypnotic flange. I have high hopes... It was stupid cheap and is supposed to be based on analog BBD. It also has a mix control which I think is a great feature. I like the sound clips I've heard of it, but I can't find a local shop who's got one -- but I figured it was cheap enough to give it a go. I'll report back.

9. iualum

iualum Member

...I LOVE my Maxon FL-9 & will take it any day over the EHX box...very tweakable...

10. DC1

DC1 Member

Foxrox Paradox TZF. Phenomenal box.

DC

11. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    +1,000,000 on the TZF, but they can only be bought used right now. The Fulltone Choralflange is the best I have found to equal the tone of Electric Mistress. Fulltone recently upgraded the flange side of this pedal.

TheGrooveking

12. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Thanks for the help.

13. brianf

brianf Member

I have the Max FL9 and a Choralflange. FL9 gets my vote. I use the Fulltone mostly for chorus or if I am going to need flanger on just 1 song.

I fdind the FL9 so tweekable. The Ibenez version is not bad either.

brianf

14. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Does it do that syrupy Lifeson type flange like the EHX Mistress though?

15. iualum

iualum Member

...yes...unfortunately, phenominal price tag as well...

16. geetarman

geetarman Member

I also use a Maxon Fl-9 works great as others said but a different animal than the Electric Mistress. I would love to see a pedal builder make a top notch clone of the EM in a smaller package though.

17. DC1

DC1 Member

I think they are less than what the original ADA's are going for. I had one of those and I like the TZF a lot better. You're right though, it's not cheap.

DC

18. Companyman

Companyman Member

I'm told the Hartman flanger is the shiz... just like the EM. $250.00 is a little steep for me though !

19. jimmycupo

jimmycupo Member

what's the scoop on updated fulltone flanger section? when was this done? on the cf-1?

20. gravy

gravy Member

keep your eye open for an ibanez dfl flanger. wide range including delay times, small footprint. made in the 80`s, greenish box. BTW it`s digital if that matters.