Question about G&L's

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Florida Joe, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Member

I'm thinking about getting a strat-like guitar. I have to deal with cost constraints so I'm not looking at breaking the bank. I've been looking at G&L's - mainly a Legacy, but I've recently seen an S-500. Not really sure what are the biggest differences between the two models and which one is closest to a strat. Any help, advice or ideas would be great.

Joe

2. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

the s-500 is the more traditional strat guitar and the legacy is more modern strat.

3. soundmann

soundmann Member

I think you have that backwards. The Legacy is more like a traditional Strat, while some different pickups and upgraded electronics make the S-500 more modern.

Dave

4. soundmann

soundmann Member

Joe,

I've owned a G&L Legacy for a few years and have been very satisfied with it. The build quality is impressive, especially for how much the instrument costs. I also did a custom order to add some options.

First, you should visit http://www.glguitars.com/ if you haven't already to read about the details.

The biggest difference in between the Legacy and S-500 is the pickups and flexibility in pickup settings. The Legacy has G&L "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]vintage style Alnico V single coil pickups" and a traditional 5-position pickup selector. The S-500 has G&L Magnetic Field Design pickups, the 5-position selector, and a toggle switch which allows for more combinations.

I haven't tried an S-500, so I don't know how the MFD pickups sound different, but most of the G&L guitars have them. I personally think the Alnico single coils on the Legacy sound great.

The only other difference I can think of right now is that the S-500 has locking tuning machines and the Legacy does not. I hope this explanation helps.

Dave
    [/FONT]

5. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Member

Dave,

Thanks for the insight. I appreciate your advice. I need to find a local dealership in the Orlando area that carries G&L to give them a shot. From what you say and what I've read on the G&L site, I think I would much rather play the Legacy over the S-500.

In your experience, have the G&L been consistent in both build quality and sound?

Thanks,
    Joe

6. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I have an asat special, not a legacy, but am very happy with it. I don't know if the MFD pickups are the same in mine as in an S500, but I love them, lots of punch, great cleans, rich overdrive.

It took me a while to get used to the 7.25 radius, but now it's one of my favorites.

7. soundmann

soundmann Member

Joe,

The build quality is high, and I love how my Legacy sounds. G&L is pretty much known for their "every guitar is a custom job" mentality. Compared to the Fender American Strats, the G&L Legacys are of at least equal quality, in my opinion, and a couple hundred dollars less. Not to mention, if you're patient, you can order your G&L with a couple of options.

I would definitely suggest you at least try one out, maybe compare it to a Fender American Strat.

Dave

P.S. No, I don't work for G&L, although I realize these posts kind of make it sound like I do.

8. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

Joe,

The G&L Legacy's and S-500's, normaly come with a 12" radius, unlike ASAT's that have a 7.5" radius. I live in East Central coast, and can recommend Jay Wolfe, in Jupiter FL. He is also the largest Heritage dealer, and has a great reputation. Big Orange Guitar in Orange Beach is closer, but I have never dealt with them. The last time I was at the Guitar Den, in Orlando, they had a used Legacy, in green.

9. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Also perhaps look at the George Fullerton model - even more in the vintage Strat vibe...

10. Grap

Grap Member

Step this way sir ;) It's a pity we don't live in the same city as I have one each of the Legacy, Fullerton, Legacy Sprecial and S-500. Anyhow, here's my take:

The Fullerton is the most vintage Strat ilke of the lot. Alnico pickups, standard Strat volume tone, tone, and five way switch wiring.

The Legacy varies the recipie by having the passive treble/bass master tone controls. Mine has more of a modern Strat vibe to it over the Fullerton's crisp & clear vintage vibe , but that's down to the wood combinations on my particular instruments. Ash/maple board on the Fullerton. Alder/rosewood board on the Legacy.

The S-500 takes a further step away from traditional Strat-dom by having MFD pickups and an expander switch that allows the neck & middle and "all three on" pickup combinations to be selected. It sounds like a very big angry Strat, but you can always roll the volume down to tame it a little. In addition to having higher output than the Alnicos, teh MFD pickups also have a more even frequency response. More lows & highs to my ears.

The Legacy Special has the same control circuit as the Legacy, but the pickups are single coil sized dual rail humbuckers made by Gotoh to G&L's specs and rumoured to be based on Joe Barden's pickups. All I know is that it sounds like an S-500 that's taken steroids. It has a voice of it's own, closer to my PRS McCarty than anything else I can think of, but you can also tame it down to being more Strat-like by rolling off a little bass & volume.

Cheers - Steve

11. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Member

Hey guys,

thanks for the advice. I'm going to start shopping for either a Legacy or Fullerton. My only concern with the Fullerton is the cost. I know I can find a Legacy for a decent price.

Chicago Slim, I was actually hoping that Jay would have been at the Orlando Guitar show this past weekend, but he wasn't. I know the owner at Big Orange (great guy), but he didn't have a Legacy with him this weekend. I guess I'll start looking around.

Thanks again!
    Joe

12. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

Joe,

Jay Wolfe opened his store about a year ago, and it keeps him pretty busy. He has a good selection of Legacy's in stock. You can check his inventory on G-Base.

Tim

13. aquadog

aquadog Member

Don't leave out the Comanches either. You can pick them up for a pretty good price on ebay, and are, in my opinion, the most versatile of the whole G&L line (though the twin HB asat with coil splitters can get a lot of tones as well).

14. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

G&L strats are different enough from Fenders that you need to play both and decide for yourself.

15. Bajan

Bajan Member

Hey Joe, I live in Orlando (Out by UCF) and have a nice Legacy if you want to give one a try. It is a 3-bolt, ash body hardtail in honeyburst, with a birdseye/rosewood neck and Fralins. Feel free to shoot me an email (sbowen@maad.com).

Shane

[​IMG]

16. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I have a legacy and love it! I also suggest you try a few out. There are a few different shapes ( #1, #4 ect...) that the necks come in and they feel quite different. Also check out ebay as there are some good deals out there. It is a slightly different animal than a Fender strat. I compared it against a buddy's 57 and 63 strats and they all had a bit of mojo in common that was lacking in the 100 different production line Fenders I tried out during my search. They are great guitars.

Shawn.