Question about gun safety when deer hunting.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jonathan31, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Jonathan31

Jonathan31 Member

I am going deer hunting this season for the first time in over a decade. I grew up deer hunting and have my hunters ed card. I will be hunting with a friends marlin 30-30 and I have a question about when to load gun. I will be hunting in a deer stand and growing up if I remember correctly my dad always made me wait till I was in the stand to load up even though it made some noise. Is this what most do/recommend? Climbing a stand with loaded gun seems a bit sketchy I suppose.

Angus Page likes this.
  2. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Rule #1: Aim away from face.

edit: but yes, don’t load your weapon until you’re situated and ready to shoot things.

3. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Climbing the stand creates noise and motion, too. Follow Dad's advice and be safe.

4. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Member

Have 2 rounds loaded but not chambered while you walk to your stand. If you see any deer on the way to the sand you can have a shot and a follow up.

Most of 'stand hunting' involves long waits. Your smell and sound will be heavy in the area for a while. You just need to wait it out. It doesnt really matter how much sound you make getting into your stand or loading; it will be a while before any deer start moving again. (*I dont like stand hunting because I dont like waiting; Id rather be walking/driving)

If you feel you need to unload to get in your stand there is nothing wrong with it. I personally would keep it loaded but not chambered and get in a stand but there is nothing wrong with unloading if you feel better about it.

Basically get there really early (an hr or more before sunrise), get in your stand, get loaded up (chambered with safety on) and just before dawn youll see a deer when they are looking to bed.

Good luck.

~JH

Aardvark, RGB, guitarmook and 3 others like this.
  5. Jonathan31

Jonathan31 Member

Thanks for the tips. I got about 10 deer under my belt but it has been well over a decade. Looking forward to hunting this year. I sold my 30-30 awhile back and have sellers remorse big time. Didn’t think I would ever hunt again.

84superchamp and rawkguitarist like this.
  6. LTE

LTE Member

Like everyone else said, don't chamber a round till you're ready. I hunted last year with a Model 94 and did the same thing. You don't make that much noise chambering the round. In Georgia you are required to wear a blaze orange vest. Be careful and enjoy yourself.

7. gdomeier

gdomeier Silver Supporting Member

I use a .270 and put three in the internal magazine, then when I get in stand I open the action and put another round into the chamber rather than racking one in from the magazine. Much quieter.

RGB, massacre, Fred132 and 3 others like this.
  8. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

Load and chamber at your vehicle. Drop the hammer to half cock, walk to your stand. If/when you're ready to take a shot, cock it and fire. Loading a lever action rifle and cycling it makes a lot of noise. The less noise you make, the better your odds.

fjblair, Floyd Eye and blueserv like this.
  9. Angus Page

Angus Page Gold Supporting Member

I'm not a hunter - but @Tom CT sounds like the best advice. Especially if your own Dad was a successful hunter.

Jonathan31 likes this.
  10. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

Loading in the stand is the safest. I used to hunt with a 3030 (marlin) and now a bolt action Rem 700. If it shooting light outside, I will load the magazine with none in the chamber in case I come across a shooter. It has happened multiple times walking to the stand. The noise in chambering a round is not much. If you're worried, throw out a quick grunt while you do it. :)

Good luck and be safe. I'll be in the woods again tomorrow. They're starting to rut pretty good here in sw MO.

11. FlyingPickle

FlyingPickle Member

And you are asking the internet how/when to load a gun?

12. Jonathan31

Jonathan31 Member

It has been a long time and my dad is extremely cautious when it comes to safety with things like this. So I was asking others what they think is reasonable.

13. DYNA BILL

DYNA BILL Member

I believe most all modern 30-30's have a hammer block safety. My Marlin did. I always had it loaded with one in the chamber and the hammer down with the safety on.
    Do not pull your rifle up to the stand with a string, and do not fall out of your stand. Good luck.

14. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

Never climb anything with a loaded gun. It’s simply not worth the risk, however small.

Average Joe, FbIsNotE, MikeVB and 4 others like this.
  15. NtS

NtS Member

You should be in your stand before legal shooting hours. Load your gun just before it’s actually legal to shoot.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  16. Liquid Quarter

Liquid Quarter Silver Supporting Member

Going up:

Unload your firearm, and open the action. PROVE it safe.

Lay it on the ground with the muzzle slightly elevated to prevent dirt and debris from getting into the barrel.

Tie a short rope or cord around the stock, and attach the other end to the barrel. This “bridle” will give you a means to attach your haul line. If your firearm has a sling, use it instead.

Tie or attach the haul line securely to the sling or bridle so that the firearm hangs with the muzzle pointed down. Make sure the haul line is a bit longer than the height of the tree stand above the ground.

Slip the end of the haul line through your belt. Leave it untied so that it can pull free if you fall.

Put on your fall-arrest system, secure yourself to the tree, and climb to your stand.

Once you are secure in your tree stand, haul up the firearm. Untie the haul line and bridle.

Check the firearm barrel for obstructions. Once ready, reload it.

Going down:

Unload your firearm, and open the action. PROVE it safe.

Lower the firearm by attaching attach the haul line the same way you did when bringing the firearm up.

Gently lower the firearm to the ground on the opposite side of the tree from your climbing route.

Once you are back on the ground, check the barrel for obstructions.

Secure the firearm in a safe location for transport.

cameronp, Average Joe and QuickDraw like this.
  17. explorer76

explorer76 Member

First of all, congrats on getting back into it. Enjoy and have a great time!

Second, I can nit-pick a couple things here but don't take it personally:

The first thing that jumped out at me was the comment about using a friends gun. The problem here is one of familiarity. Unless you have been practicing with his gun.....A LOT......I would suggest that you do not do this. One of the number one rules to maintain is fair-chase. In other words, the hunter owes it to the game they pursue to ensure a quick and humane kill. Wounding the game due to easily avoidable issues is a bad thing and unethical. In this case, using a weapon that one has never used before is a recipe for disaster. Taking it to the range and firing it "a couple times" doesn't count!

Next, never ever climb into a stand with a loaded weapon.....period! Be it a rifle, shotgun, or bow. The comment that NTS made is spot-on. Generally speaking, one should be in the stand before shooting hours. In which case, the walk to the stand would be done with unloaded weapons anyways. But even if late to the stand and "stalking" to the stand....who cares about making a bit of noise when the alternative is personal safety? Honestly, unloading/loading a rifle, shotgun, etc is not going to create a level of noise that would scare deer off. (On the contrary, they are curious creatures by nature and may in fact come investigate!) Especially if the unloading/loading process has been practiced....something that one should be doing before going hunting. Besides, if an unseen deer was in the immediate area as the hunter was getting into the stand, it is already long gone anyways. It very likely already smelled the hunter or possible saw them and ran off.

Bringing the weapon up into the stand safely can be accomplished a couple of ways. First and foremost, it should always be unloaded.....always! In the case of a rifle or shotgun, slinging it over the back across the chest such that is is impossible to fall off with the barrel pointed up is acceptable. Especially if the barrel is long enough to clear the head. The other way is to climb into the stand and pull it up with a rope. But the key thing here is to never pull it up such that the barrel points upward....Duh! It should be attached to the rope whereby the barrel will point down or horizontal.

The bottom line is to always be thinking about safety. Seems logical but I have personal experience with people I know getting hurt for the dumbest reasons! As such, I'm particular when it comes to this stuff.

massacre and Jonathan31 like this.
  18. Jonathan31

Jonathan31 Member

Thanks for the tips! As to familiarity with the gun...it’s a marlin 30-30, the exact same gun I grew up hunting with so I am familiar with it and will take it to range as well. Clean, quick, ethical kills are very important to me. Thanks for the advice.

19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Exactly. Load the gun. That’s what the safety is for. Do NOT take the rifle off safe until you are taking a shot.

Who walks to their stand with an unloaded weapon? The hunt starts when you get out of the truck/ camp. I can’t count the deer I’ve shot on my way to my stand.

And unloading it to carry it up to the stand? Really? First of all you should have a rope set up. Climb up then pull the rifle ( chamber empty) up after you’re safely in the stand. If you do have to climb up with your rifle on your back, empty the chamber and load the first round after you’re safely in your stand.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    massacre and fjblair like this.
  20. Rob Eddy

Rob Eddy Member

That's not really "hunting". Is it?