Question about higher end Stratocasters value for the buck from a non Strat guy

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lkdog, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Juan Tuthri

Juan Tuthri Supporting Member

Since you already know that you like big necks you should be looking into the JB and the AVRI early 2000's Hot Rod. I have a Hot Rod and it's a really thick neck. I also have a 2010s Hot Rod and it has a much thinner neck.

2. Lkdog

Lkdog Silver Supporting Member

I don't have to have a huge neck, but don't like 60s Les Paul thin necks at all.
    I like taller frets and 6100s are my favorite. Fender Med-jumbo are fine.
    That see why I really my R8- nice neck. Not R7 big, but decent girth.

Fender modern C shape is not too bad. Bigger than that is better though like on this KWS which is a little bigger.
    The 62 Hotrods look good. What is going rate for them used or any of the AVRIs?? Prices seem to vary between 1100-1900.
    There is a 2012 Hotrod for sale for 1600.

3. Glenn W. Whitehead

Glenn W. Whitehead Member

Buy a Fender Custom Shop Strat used, preferably a 63 reissue in light relic! Yes 2000 approaches diminishing utility but used, you can find 2000-2400 dollar bargains and they have great woods, quartersawn necks, typically not skinny necks and who wants that shat!? Think of it like buying a 78 Gibson or Hamer! Gee, which one has the smaller shop quality and attention to detail, fretwork? Having said that, Andersons, Grosh, Tuttles, Nash are awesom and perhaps Nash is the sweet spot!

4. alexanderplatz

alexanderplatz Member

the best bang for the buck is the model that feels best in your hands, purchased used.

IIRC the KWS strat is a lot like the AVRI hot rod except the neck radius is even flatter than 9.5”.

Given how many options there are for pickups the main things IMO are the neck thickness, fingerboard radius, and fret size.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    lostpoet2 likes this.
  5. Lkdog

Do Nash compare favorably to Fender AVRIs?? :dunno
    They sure look nice.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  6. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

A lot of good advise. Here. I used to have a hot rod 62 and I currently have a KWS neck awaiting a future parts caster build, because I slightly prefer that neck. There’s nothing wrong with starting with with the model that has your favorite neck and then modding it from there. Other OEM necks I like are roadworn, 60s player, Clapton, and Jimmie Vaughan models. Shamefully, I’ve never actually tried out an SRV strat, but it’s neck specs are similar to what I like.

7. lostpoet2

I forgot to mention, my hot rod 62 neck was 0.92” at the first fret, and it was slightly thicker than ideal for me...I tend to prefer the 0.85-0.90 range.

8. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

Wow, .92 at the first! I'd love to find that one!! They are usually ~.88-.89.

You wouldn't happen to have a measurement for your KWS neck? I've never been able find measurements.

That's one thing it really wish Fender would publish along with radius and fret size. It's such a personal preference. I like how Wildwood has neck specs on their site.

9. bluesoul

bluesoul Member

Sometimes yes...sometimes no...but yes more often than no! Of all the guitars i have owned and played in over 40 years (yeah I am not a kid)....Strats are more of the kind of guitar that you just have to grab and try (or get lucky)...lots of good ones out there, but the magic one will tell you it's the one! So...it is hit and miss. Buy, try ...sell or keep. You will know which one to keep...keep the one that works best and only replace it if you find a better one! Meaning...don't sell your KWS strat unless you find one you like better (of course there is no rule against keeping them all!)...well....wives can f-ck up the rules!

10. Lkdog

I have kind of decided to keep the KWS no matter what. I think this is one of those guitars that found me.

rauchman, alexanderplatz and bluesoul like this.
  11. bluesoul

bluesoul Member

Good move!

12. Lkdog

Not quite R8-ish, but has some beef up the neck.
    .839 at first fret.
    .985 at 12th.
    C shape.

13. lostpoet2

I don’t currently have it written down, but I’ll re-measure later this week and reply to this thread.

14. Coolidge

Coolidge Member

There's dozens of Strat flavors and specs spread across the years. Its like Fender gets bored sometimes so they spew out a batch of Strats playing around with the specs a bit. I have owned 4-5 over the years but meh. Then I stumbled across 'the one' a few months back in a Guitar Center used section.

2005 American Deluxe, Butterscotch Blonde, Ash body and factory flame maple neck. The frets were badly gouged so I did a refret with Jescar stainless jumbo frets. I thought it was kind of weird for this to have a factory flame maple neck so I looked up a bunch of sold guitars on Reverb in this color 2005-2006 and found several more with flame maple necks. I guess a batch of them came through the factory.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speaking of 12 inch radius neck Fenders behold the mighty Fender American Highway One TEXAS Tele! Lightweight swamp ash body. 12 inch radius neck. Non-clown face 2 tone burst. Vintage 5 hole pickguard, vintage bridge, vintage tuners and logo, thin satin finish. Again I had this one refretted with Jescar stainless jumbo frets.

[​IMG]

Kind of wormy swamp ash I like it!

[​IMG]

Mods include Fender black Bakelite pickguard, Glendale single cut stainless bridge plate, Gotoh compensated saddles.

[​IMG]

rauchman, lostpoet2 and Lkdog like this.
  15. Lkdog

Very cool guitars. Love the Tele.

16. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Buy necks and bodies separately on Stratosphere and Ebay/Reverb, buy loaded pickguards. Take them to 'your guy' and get them set up.

The big difference from the MIM to the CS is the amount of attention paid to setup and fretwork (misc color and hardware variation of course). Pay a good guitar tech $100 for a full fret level and deep setup and you've got a CS level playing guitar. Then all you are really missing is the MIA logo stamped on the headstock in tiny letters... paying for more ego stroking the higher the price.

Look up the Armstrong Blender mod for your SSS Strat ... blends between SSS and HSH Super Strat. Wiring only change.

Because of your preference for a chunkier neck (same as I am), be sure and check out some Telecasters sometime.

alexanderplatz likes this.
  17. lostpoet2

i measured the KWS neck earlier today, and it is 0.83” at fret 1 and 0.97” at fret 12.

Joe Perry likes this.
  18. Lkdog

What do people think about getting a used 62 Reissue with vintage neck at a good price (1000-ish) and changing out the neck to a different one with flatter radius (allparts, Warmoth, Fender MIM, Fender STd, etc) ?
    Or is it better to get a used 62 RI Hotrod stock, or a Thin Skin stock and pay 500-600 or more?

19. Joe Perry

Wow, that's thinner than I thought they would be! Thank you for taking the time to measure!

20. Joe Perry

Depends, what are the details on the vintage neck? For 1k, I can't see it being a pre-CBS one.