Question about higher end Stratocasters value for the buck from a non Strat guy

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lkdog, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Lkdog

Lkdog Silver Supporting Member

Mine is similar.
    .839 at first fret.
    .985 at 12th.

2. Lkdog

3. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

Lkdog likes this.
  4. LReese

LReese Member

Just my opinion (you are entitled to yours), the current generation of players would not be able to handle the 60s and 70s. You played what was available and.or what you could afford.

Fortunately we do not have that problem now.

5. frank4001

frank4001 Member

I think the good ones find you 90% of the time.
    I mean you can look at specs all day and do pickup and hardware swaps...and they could all help but sometimes its just the really the whole beautiful mess.
    You could shorten your search if you're able to find a dealer who's got those strat ears.
    You'll pay but you'll pay once abd forget about the extra dough in no time.

Lkdog likes this.
  6. Lkdog

I am kind of in the middle of nowhere in terms of guitar dealers. 3 hours west of Chicago. 5 hours from St. Louis. 6 hours from KC and Minneapolis,
    Only thing here is pretty bad Guitar Center. 3.5 hours to Dave's in LaCrosse is maybe best closest.

Over the years I have learned a lot from this helpful forum and a few others. Kind of figured out what works for me after some trial and error and careful online used gear buying.
    I try and not buy anything that can't be sold if it doesn't work out for me.

And you are right- somehow some good guitars have just sort of found their way over to me.
    Strats are an unusual animal. Maybe the most common guitar known to man- but a fair variance with all the little things in how it all fits together in a specific guitar.
    This KWS for whatever reason is one that seems to work for me.

I did pick up a used Vintage/Narrow Callaham bridge as suggested to give that a try for a little better string spacing on high E and edge of fingerboard.
    Probably would not bother a better player at all as it is now.

Joe Perry likes this.
  7. frank4001

frank4001 Member

I hope the bridge swap works for you.

It may change the sound of your guitar also but I hope to your liking.

Lkdog likes this.
  8. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

Good best of luck with it! Let us know how you make it with it. It's a very well made bridge.

Everyone is different and Some don't like them but for a vintage tone they are hard to beat!

Lkdog likes this.
  9. Surfreak

Surfreak Member

I think the matter is simple. It is not about bang for the buck, or about the guitar. It’s about your preference and profile as a player.

You own a R8. That is a high end, pro grade instrument. That MIM KWS is a great guitar, you will be happy with it for a while, but eventually you will move up and get a Custom Shop strat.

Rhythm Rocker, s2y and Joe Perry like this.
  10. Lkdog

I think part of the reason I like this KWS is it has a more vintage feel or vibe to it than the Am Stds, Am Deluxes and Jeff Becks I have tried.

I have read where the Callaham doesn't work tone wise for some people. I wonder how much the graphite saddles on the KWS contribute to the tone on it. We will see.

11. Lkdog

You are right. My curiosity about a CS or AVRI will get to me.

Rhythm Rocker likes this.
  12. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

I think the best bang for your buck anywhere in strats is going to be a used American Original.

Lkdog likes this.
  13. Lkdog

Are the 60s Originals kind of like a hotrod 62 AVRI?

14. Ray175

Ray175 Member

Going back to the OP. With a price ceiling of 2000$, I'd be inclined to save an extra 500..... It's entirely possible to pickup a used Custom Shop for around 2500$, and the quality difference is appreciable. For example,last year I bought a 2008 Custom Shop NOS 1961 Strat in Sonic Blue (same as my very first quality guitar in 1970) at a price of 2600$

Rhythm Rocker likes this.
  15. frank4001

frank4001 Member

So I have a Callaham bridge and what happened after I changed it was a kind of zingy tone that was not present before.
    I happened to have an old bridge block and swapped that.
    That definitly helped to my ears.
    I have a real late '62 strat also for some kind of reference..
    That being said all strats (guitars) are going to have some differences and its way above my pay grade to assign any kind of diagnosis.
    I think you're working with a good foundation.
    I hope you swap that bridge and you hear angels singing.

Lkdog likes this.
  16. noisebloom

noisebloom Member

I'm a big fan of MIM Strats, especially the higher-end models like the Classic Series, Classic Player, Jimmie Vaughan, and Road Worns. I have a couple of Road Worns, which are my favorite Strats among my four. In the past, I gassed really hard for a Classic Player, and came super close to getting one on several occasions.

I agree with the idea that there's a vague point of diminishing returns. While I'd love to have (and probably will have) a Custom Shop 60s spec Strat someday, I'm afraid it wouldn't be that much better than what I already have.

Case in point, some of the Custom Shops come with a set of Pure Vintage 65 pickups as an option. Last year, I put a set of PV65s in my 2007 MIM Standard. Aside from the general finish quality, I don't imagine my MIM would sound hugely different from a CS Strat with the same model pickups. I think it's entirely possible to find an affordable MIM as a platform for some quality upgrades, allowing for a very, very good guitar.

17. Rhythm Rocker

Rhythm Rocker Member

Nothing wrong with MIM if that makes you happy. But there is no comparing them to FCS. Light bodies, hand finished necks, hand wound pickups, detail. For feel, playing, tone and resonance. You hear it and feel it immediately.

18. Lkdog

I see a fair amount of them in that range.

19. Lkdog

It came today.
    Will report back.

Joe Perry likes this.
  20. ablue

ablue Member

I have a similar spacing problem with a Callaham bridge. On his website he says the narrow saddles will work on the wider spaced bridge. Anyone tried this , seems they wouldn’t line up as close .