• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Question about home recording?

Mesa

My dad and I want to start doing a little recording. We want to keep it as simple and as cheap as possible. Right now we have the guitars, the amps and the laptop.

What equipment shoud we get?

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
all of my current recording is one mic, one interface to my computer, and a decent program on the computer to record and mix it.

amp? Shure SM57 into an Apogee Duet into a Macbook with Garageband. Vocals, try a large condenser mic, I use a Studio Projects C1 mic that won't break the bank, i got mine used for 100 bucks. You may not need all the bells and whistles of the Duet even, look into the Apogee One.

Brion

Silver Supporting Member
I had a ux1 and didn't care for it as I felt it colored the sound too much. Plus I feel that the Line6 stuff was set up for running your guitar directly into the interface and using the modeling software. I didn't like most of the sounds and running my mike'd amp into it just didn't sound right. I now use a presonus fireport and like it much better.

Mesa

I wish i had looked into this more a month ago. My cousin and I were going to set up a home studio and started to buy some gear. I had an edirol fa66 but i just sold it. I thought it was more complicated than we needed but if all i need is an audio interface and a mic I should have kept it. O well.

So any other suggestions people?

ur86d

Here's a question, do you plan on recording one guitar at a time..or do you want to record multiple tracks simutaniously? if you want to do the latter you're gonna need more than one mic.. the sm57 is a close cab mic..so you'd want two of those. and if you'd rather room mic..you'd probably want 2 condensers..could probably get away with one condenser mic for room recording..but two will give better results.

Mesa

probably just record one track at a time...i'm leaning towards the sm57. So what else do i need? just an audio interface?

cob666

I recently bought a Presonus Audiobox USB to get back into recording. The device has two mic / instrument inputs on the front, outputs for speakers as well as a headphone jack. The software that comes with the Presonus is Studio One which is pretty awesome so far. Studio One also comes with some pretty nice drum sounds as well as a boat load of synths and other instruments.

The only downside to the Audiobox is the inputs are ONLY mic / instrument level, there is NO line level input. I've still been using my Axe-fx into the input and even though the output is line level I keep the levels down pretty low and I've had no problems so far and I've done quite a bit of recording.

As far as mics go, if you are only recording guitars you should be alright with an SM57. I'm pretty sure you could pick up a Presonus Audiobox for around 149, not bad seeing how the Studio One software alone costs more than that.

Good Luck.

Brion

Silver Supporting Member

I would think that you could get a lot done with that stuff. Notice that the boom on that mic stand is not adjustable.

The presonus mic may be decent or it may not, I have no idea, but the presonus interface is good. I use the same one, just a generation or two back most likely cosmetics are the only difference..

ObiK

You should read the Newbie Recording Files on ObiAudio..

http://obiaudio.com/category/the-modern-newbie-files/

Good break down on the parts needed to start recording.

As for those two kits, looks like a decent solid start. Add in some acoustic treatment when you get some extra cash for some Bass traps and moving blankets and no one will be able to tell it was recorded at home! :) Just got to put some practice in :)

cob666

You should be able to get a LOT done with those two packages.

A few words of advice:

BE PATIENT

It's possible that not everything will work properly the first time through, read the manual, make sure you download the most current drivers from the Presonus site, did I mention to READ THE MANUAL? It took me a day to get everything working properly, but I'm quite happy now.

Good Luck.

Mesa

Sounds good guys. I will share this advice with my dad and see what he thinks.

SuperSonic

Apogee Duet, Logic or Garage band is the way to go. I fought the Duet a long time and now that I have it, I can't believe I waited this long.

cob666

That Apogee Duet is nice looking but I would try to stay away from something with a proprietary cable.

Top Bottom