Question about keeping time

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Kwikrp, Jul 15, 2019.

1. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

This may be obvious but, if you are super familiar with the song you will hear it in your head and naturally feel it. I think even drummers can drift if they are just keeping a beat but, if they are mentally playing a song they know like the back of their hand timing is easier.

So my advice is practice the song more. I guess that goes for any kind of technique. You should certainly work on it separately but, ultimately, it ought to be in context of the music you are attempting. If youre speeding up or slowing down, you arent familiar enough with the tempo of the song.

Time is something Ive struggled with. I was the kid at Jr High dance that could not hear the beat and looked pretty funny dancing because of it. Its taken many years for me to get a clue.

Daren Anderson likes this.
  2. shredwinterwaves

shredwinterwaves Member

As has been mentioned by others already, for me it's about internalizing the pulse to the point where I feel it almost subconsciously. Playing in string orchestra growing up and having to count without percussion to be able to (poorly) sight read really helped me. People have suggested tapping your foot - which never worked for me, but I don't think its a bad idea. I always end up tapping on the accented notes instead of the straight beats and get all screwed up. But what I think has been helpful for me from that idea is to do some sort of repetitive physical motion that goes with the tempo. I don't think it necessarily matters whether its tapping your foot, keeping your right hand going, bobbing your head, swaying back and forth, or pelvic thrusts. For me, the physical movement helps me internalize the pulse and keep it steady. Also, work with a metronome and do the things people already suggested with it. Also also, when you're just listening to music, try to recognize the pulse and pay attention how the parts fit around or on top of it.

3. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Silver Supporting Member

Your point is well taken, tapping your foot 4/4 in the neighborhood of the beat is a long way from being a player with ‘good timing’.

4. kimos55

kimos55 Follow your dreams turst your heart Silver Supporting Member

Yea, I know what you mean, people generally don't tap there foot onstage. If you watch any of PG classes he totally talks about tapping your foot, Counting in tempo should always be done. Also being an active listener is very important.
    The person that started this post may be a beginner , I always have my students count in a tempo. Some people don't have that natural feel for tempo it needs to be learned.
    In a band, equally the drummer, bass player and guitars all need to lock in. When I record I follow a click then other times I tap my foot, Just trying to help

5. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

OP -- Do you ever play guitar without accompaniment in other situations? Singing "Comin' Around the Mountain" with your friends and family? Accompanying yourself to Bob Dylan songs? If not, that's a good place to start. If so, is your time bad in those situations too?

6. smj

smj Member

There’s an app for that...lol. Actually there really is....

Lumbeats SuperMetronome.

You select a drum groove and it drops out and comes back in at various points. You can change how long the gaps are.... 1 bar, 2 bars, etc... and you can set it to drop out in the middle of a bar and come back in in the middle of a bar. It’s a lot of fun actually.

Hope this helps!

Sean Meredith-Jones
    www.seanmeredithjones.com

Daren Anderson likes this.
  7. smj

smj Member

Lumbeats has a few other drum apps which I also love... though they’re not exactly cheap...$25/app.

What I like about them is you can mute any of the drums. I heard Pat Metheny a long time ago talk about practicing with just a hi hat, or kick drum, or snare drum. These apps allow for that.

Sean Meredith-Jones
    www.seanmeredithjones.com

8. Kwikrp

Kwikrp Member

The Song is Stone in Love by Journey. I am to start the song without any other instruments

guitarjazz likes this.
  9. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I tapped that at approx 118bpm. Is that what you set your metronome on?

10. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

If the intro parrarells the song i sing it in my head.
    Examples
    You cant always get what you want.
    Hotel california
    Start me up

If it dont in just do the best i can.

11. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

I prefer using a drum app to a metronome. I just can’t stand that ticky tocky noise.

At a clinic someone asked Pat Martino how he practiced timing. He said he didn’t he was just mindful of breathing, heartbeats, walking. A bit cosmic but being aware of rhythms are all around us. Notice them.

12. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I use an app called Drum beats +.
    Lots of different drum beats and grooves that will help you with timing

13. Kwikrp

Kwikrp Member

I can keep good time with the original recording....but the drummer I think has different bpms. Each time we play it not much difference but a different. I am told that I start off great and when the other guitarists come in I am told I loose time or sway from it.

14. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Ah...have the drummer tap very light quarter notes or 8th notes on his closed hi-hat. Record the band playing the song when you can.
    Have the drummer tap tap tap. You'll get it!

Guitardave likes this.
  15. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

16. sws1

sws1 Member

What if your drummer can't keep time?

guitarjazz likes this.
  17. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Excellent point.

18. RLD

RLD Member

Then it's your fault.

guitarjazz likes this.
  19. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Now we are digging where the taters are.

20. RLD

RLD Member

[​IMG]

guitarjazz likes this.