Question about KT66 tubes

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
Hello, i aquired 2 KT66 tubes from another TGP member a few years ago as an added bonus from something i bought. Problem is, i have no use for them at all and i want to sell them. I have no idea if they work. They look good but... I dont know. They both came a 2 taped Ruby Tubes boxes that say matched, Anyway i can test them or about the worth of these things? I hate to just throw them out.

zosozep7

IMG_20170102_152747_zpsyf8ckekl.jpg

zosozep7

Those are Genalex Gold Lions. They retail for about $60 each
Ok, thanks Floyd! These are used though. Anyway of testing them? I guess i could put them in the emporium for half that price and hope a trustworthy member will buy them and be honest that they work.

Floyd Eye

Ok, thanks Floyd! These are used though. Anyway of testing them? I guess i could put them in the emporium for half that price and hope a trustworthy member will buy them and be honest that they work.

Unless you have a tester the only other way is to put them in an amp. And that will only tell you if they work, not if they are matched and how strong they are. I'm sure other guys will chime in with better suggestions than I have given you. There is no shortage of knowledgeable tube guys around here.

Blue Strat

If you have an amp that uses KT66s and a bias probe, you can try them and use the bias probe to see if they're matched.

It's somewhat risky though. If either tube is shorted it COULD take out components in your amp. This may be better or worse than blowing up someone else's amp depending on your perspective. ;)

Vanyu

Do you have an amp that runs off of 6L6's? Those tubes will run in place of a 6L6GC given your power transformer is up to snuff. If your PT is marginal, or can't take the extra load, you still probably wouldn't be hurting anything by making sure they're biased and not microphonic, and then taking them right back out. It should only take about 10 minutes. If you don't know how to bias, do a google search on "transformer shunt biasing". It's not the most accurate way of taking bias, but it will suffice for matching purposes, given you don't have a bias probe of course.

EDIT: I'd like to add that if you choose to go this route, very careful precautions should be taken, as this method involves taking measurements with potentially lethal voltages present. If you aren't comfortable with doing this, then don't! This is not a task that should be taken lightly! I've personally felt 120v many times, and i don't intend on seeing what 500v feels like, and neither will you! Please, if you're uncertain, take the tubes to a tech, and they'll tell you what you need to know about those tubes!

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom