Question about live sound

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by mid-city tim, Apr 30, 2015.

1. mid-city tim

mid-city tim Member

I saw the Who this past weekend at Jazz Fest and it was fascinating to watch the stage change from Dhumpstafunk to the Who.

Anyway, they erected plexi panels (?) in front of Zak's kit and I was wondering why they did that. Is it because they may have been recording the event or is it just to lessen the bleed into the other mics? Or both?

It looked like every amp that was on stage had a mic in front of it and there were two HUGE speaker arrays on either side of the stage, between the video screens.

Oh, if you get a chance go see them. Jazz Fest was only venue to not feature Joan Jett and the Blackhearts as an opening act.

TIA,

Tim

2. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

Easier for monitor mixing, I would suppose, because it can help with managing stage volume and it would help Townshend who is troubled by tinnitus.

3. mid-city tim

mid-city tim Member

Thanks! I did see people with some type of pad checking each guitar station, vocal mic, and drums - so you may be right. This was after the drum-shield was put up. It took less than an hour to change the stage and I thought that was awesome to see.

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

Generally for volume control - I know a few tours ago, Pete had a plexi box he stood in, and only played acoustic guitar, due to his hearing problems.

5. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

Pete's problems are a warning to all of us who do sound or play in bands. to use some form of hearing protection

6. geoangus

geoangus Member

Exploding bass drums didn't help either.

7. loudboy

loudboy Member

Or headphones cranked up to F-you...