Question about LP Specials...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sqadan, Jun 6, 2008.

1. sqadan

sqadan Member

Does anyone know which models of the Les Paul Special came with P-100s vs P-90s? It seems like some of the mid 90's SPecials have P-90s and some have P-100s.

I know there are various versions of these guitars, Single Cut, Double Cut, w/ fretboard binding and without etc... Anybody know when they went from P-90s to P-100s?

2. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I think in the early to mid '90s models the singlecuts were P-100 and the double cuts had P-90s, at least for a while. I don't know what they did when they went to the later models without binding. I have a '95 single cut that I put Duncan vintage P-90s into and it's a great guitar.

I now also have a Historic singlecut with Antiquities that I like better but they're both excellent.

3. randy alameda

randy alameda Member

Albuquerque, New Mexico (yes its in the USA)
    My tech says most of the single cuts had P-100's in the mid 90's, I had a 94 TV special that has P-100's (sold it to the other guitar player in the band), and have a '94 Doublecut TV special, and a 'faded' DC special that have P-90's. They made a Doublecut 'lite' that had block inlay (small) that was also P-100's. but think most Doublecut specials came with P-90's. Sure there are variations though.
    :BluesBros

4. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

I had a lp special with the small block inlay, it was prettty beat up. The sound of the p100 was not that of a true p90 or todays humbucking p90s.

5. Brudr

Brudr Member

This is accurate about the single vs. double cuts. In 98, they went to the cheaper models with no neck binding or headstock inlays. At this point, both the single and double cuts had p100's.

6. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

My '96 Special SC has P-100's

[​IMG]

My '03 Special DC has P-90's

7. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

My 1995 '60s LP Special DC reissue came with P-100s.

It now has Dirty Dog P-90s.

[​IMG]

8. Raymund

Raymund Member

This 95 Special came with P-100´s which were changed to Lollar P-90´s.

[​IMG]

9. sqadan

sqadan Member

Thanks for the help folks...

I just snagged a 97 LP Special Double cut (with neck binding etc...) and wanted to be sure it had p-90s and not p-100's...

I guess I'll have to wait and see... since it seems some did and some did not :-(

Now, if only Fedex would hurry up and get it here!

10. bynt

bynt Member

Dammit I wish I had a single cut guitar with P-90's!!!! Those are beautiful picks!!!

11. fenderpro

fenderpro Member

i bought a 90's special off Ebay a couple of years ago. the stock bridge pickup was very unremarkable, so i changed it to one from a Fernandes Native...the difference was stunning. i know it sounds like heresy, but my tech agreed with me. the gibson P90 had none of the sparkle and the Fernandes sounded great. incidentally, i replaced the Fernandes pickup with a P90 from MightyMite and that sounded great too.

12. Sol

Sol Member

I have a '96 D/C TV Special, it has P90's and is such a good guitar
    I even like the slim taper neck.

How do the recent Specials compare to the '94-97 Reissues?

I ask as I heard that the new ones have slimmer bodies, have no binding and the gold Gibson rather than the MOP type on the older ones

13. jdzialak

jdzialak Silver Supporting Member

i just grabbed an 01 with P100's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. JefeMaximo

JefeMaximo Huge Member Silver Supporting Member

I just got a 90s SC (bound neck) that was upgraded with Lollar P-90s. Absolutely love it. Like a Collings 290 for a lot less money.

Mine came with the Gibson TP-6 stop bar/tailpiece (the one with the mini tuners on it). The seller claimed the guitar came this way, but I've never heard of that. Anyone ever heard of Gibson shipping an LP Special with this tailpiece?

15. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

The TP6 was an add-on.

Tony

16. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

I bought a 97 LP Special DC /w/ neck binding and Gibson headstock inlay from a member here and it came stock with P100's. He replaced them with Lollar P90's which sounded amazing!

17. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Specials?!?! Specials?!?! Every gtr pictured in this thread has a tuna-matic on it, and that's not how a LP Special is spec'd. There's no way a gtr like those will sound like a "Special". A blindfold test between one of those and a real Special with wrap-around tailpiece would sound like two completely different gtrs. I am in no way crapping on y'all's gtrs or anything like that but shame on gibson marketing a gtr as what it ain't.

Original LP Special specs:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.pinrepair.com/vgi/gibson/55_lp-special_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.provide.net/~cfh/lpspec.html&usg=__uJbVTiJz5ieYiKPZxr4XoXe2nNc=&h=690&w=980&sz=126&hl=en&start=18&um=1&tbnid=JcUfaJaBLKGBjM:&tbnh=105&tbnw=149&prev=/images%3Fq%3DLes%2BPaul%2Bspecial%2522%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4DELA_enUS308US308%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Do not get me wrong, I can dig a P-90/solid mahogany combination as much as any, and I am sure y'all have some cool sounding, enjoyable gtrs. But when I see a hardware combination like on those, I expect to see Hamer, Heritage or some other name on the headstock; not the name of the company that introduced the model (only to ignore it's own specs?!?!). Sheesh!

18. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Um...well Gibson has been doing this for a long time. Look at the "SG Classic." The had to come up with that dorky name as they already produced an SG called the "Special." Of course, that model has...humbuckers! Oh well, call 'em whatever you want. I really dig mid-90s LP "Specials." Great guitars...

19. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

That's because it's the guitar the OP asked about. If he would have asked about the current production guitar that has the same specs as the original that would be a different thread.

20. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I much prefer being able to set the string tension via a stop-tailpiece vs a wrap-around. I believe the stop-tail was an innovation (read improvement).

However, the wrap-around will sound different.

In fact, I'm on the hunt for a minty R4!