• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Question about Michael Schenker's pickups

mrbill

One of my all-time favorite live albums is UFO's "Strangers in the Night", which I've been listening to a lot lately, and was wondering what kind of pickups Schenker was using then. His leads strike me as more of a vintage PAF sound, but then his double-stops are so fat and crunchy, they sound like what I'd expect from higher output pickups.

Does anyone know what pickups he used for SITN or, generally, during his stint with UFO?

ChazMania

Gold Supporting Member
Much Schenker love on the boards lately....love it! Certainly this era in my all time top 5. He has never "seemed" to be a tinkerer, so I wouldn't be surprised if stock pickups.

aynirar27

Preferred Senior Member
Platinum Supporting Member
good question man, I'd like to see what people know. Definitely some great tones on that album. I can never get the low end right playing the main riff to rock bottom. always too tight or too spongey

Randy

Silver Supporting Member
I believe I read he used the original Gibson "Dirty Fingers" pickups in his V, but I'm not positive.

CowTipton

Gold Supporting Member
I always thought it was T-Tops into a JMP 1987.
The half-cocked wah pedal and a chorus as well.

mrbill

I'd never heard of T-Tops prior to their mention here, Googled them, and found a thread on MyLesPaul where several posters said that they are very low output pickups ( dc resistance typically around 7.5 ). If that's true, how did he get such a crunchy, grinding tone? Were his Marshalls modded? And I've never heard that he used a distortion pedal. I know he used / uses Marshall 2205s, which are pretty high gain, but they weren't made until about four years after SITN.

DustyRhodesJr

He used Schaller pickups for many years, dont know if he has changed
now that he uses Dean guitars or not.

andybaylor

Silver Supporting Member
From what I remember: Stock Gbson V, that had been smashed several times. Whatever came in that model.

All in the hands.

Lights out, Lights out Chicago...

Rockledge

I'd never heard of T-Tops prior to their mention here, Googled them, and found a thread on MyLesPaul where several posters said that they are very low output pickups ( dc resistance typically around 7.5 ). If that's true, how did he get such a crunchy, grinding tone? Were his Marshalls modded? And I've never heard that he used a distortion pedal. I know he used / uses Marshall 2205s, which are pretty high gain, but they weren't made until about four years after SITN.

Lower output often means warmer and wider tone.
Also, think about it. Lower output pickups likely means lower magnetic pull on the strings, as well as the ability to crank the amp up and drive it harder without feedback or blowing an eardrum.

Blackmoreguitar

Gold Supporting Member
I read somewhere he used an echoplex to help overdrive the Marshall. No idea if that's true. Love Shenker, what a great guitarist.

DRS

It is strange, in these modern times, that people assume only hot pickups can push an amp into great tone. Clapton with Cream and Mayall, Page with Zep, Deep Purple and Blackmore, etc etc - all low output pickups into snarly amps.

Trending Topics