Question about my Les Paul's sound.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by auffredou, Feb 2, 2008.

1. auffredou

auffredou Member

I started a couple of threads recently about how i found a couple of good deals on american strats. I went in to play one today, and after messing around with that and my les paul studio for about two hours, I decided against it because in the end i liked the fuller clean tone of the gibson better.

So heres my question. Ive realized my recent unhappiness over my sound is all in my lead tone, not my clean tone. I am completely satisfied with my les paul through a compressor into my drri, and everytime i go looking for another guitar to get that clean sound in my head, i realize ive already got it...

but then, as soon as i turn my tubescreamer (ts9/silver) on for leads, its a whole different guitar. it just sounds overly muffled. it gets pretty frustrating that i cant get the lead tone to match how good my clean tone is. so what do you think it is? stock pickups in the studio? the ts9? i dont think it has anything to do with the amp...

for what its worth, i was getting a *somewhat* similar muffled tone even when i tried out the strat with this pedal today. Should I be looking at something else other than tubescreamers then?

2. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Try the TS 9 without the compressor.

3. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Yes, you should be looking at things other than tubescreamers.

4. auffredou

auffredou Member

well im on the list for the king of tone, but its going to be a while. i do like my tubescreamer when stacked with a tim. any recommendations for something relatively inexspensive in the meantime?

5. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

Boss OD-3. Thank me later.

Jack

6. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Bad Monkey. Sparkle Drive.

7. sanders4617

sanders4617 Supporting Member

What kind of lead tones are you going for? Have you worked the tone knob on your TS9?

I have a TS9 and also a FD2, but I probably run my setup a little different. I like to keep my TS9 drive at about 9 o'clock, and then my FD2 has a higher overdrive setting. So if I am looking for just a slight OD, I go with TS9.. and if I am looking for something decently heavy (speaking within OD terms), I go with the FD2. If I am playing on the TS9.. and I want to go into a lead.. I will work the volume knob higher (unless its set full or whatever) or just hit the FD2 with the TS9. That usually sounds pretty good and I don't really notice any muffled tone.

I have only had a LP (with SD 59 and SB) for a few days though.. and I will say this. My Strat sounds better through those pedals than the LP - but not by much.

8. auffredou

auffredou Member

isnt the bad monkey based on a tubescreamer?

and this sound, to expand, almost sounds like im turning the tone knobs all the way down on my guitar. it just doesnt seem right.

9. auffredou

auffredou Member

"My Strat sounds better through those pedals than the LP - but not by much."

Ive never been so stressed in my life trying to decide whether to drop the money on one of the two used american standards i found for 500 bucks. they just didnt really scream "buy me", although i know its mostly because the neck is so different and im sure i would love them after become acquainted with one for a few months. id really like to see if some p90 based pickups in my les paul give me what im looking for, but i know these strats wont be around long at that price.

10. sanders4617

sanders4617 Supporting Member

Well. I start playing guitar on a Peavey Axcelerator guitar. The neck was very thin with a 12" radius (felt like more).. and when I first got my Stratocaster. I couldn't stand the neck. I felt like it slowed me down and was much bigger. After about a month or so of playing, I couldn't put it down and I didn't like playing the Peavey. Even with my small hands, I loved the big neck on the Strat.

I think if you give it a chance, you might like it. But if your not digging the sound of a Strat, then don't buy one. I will also add this... When playing with the TS9 at low volumes, it doesn't sound too good IMO. Its when I crank the volume on the amp.. it shines.

11. auffredou

auffredou Member

oh i dig the sound of a strat. just not necessarily when im playing one. i like the "roundness" i guess youd say, that i get from the les paul. the humbuckers can be a little too much sometimes though, a little too muddy id say. im thinking p90s might be in between and just right.

12. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

Try the Boss Bluesdriver. Much warmer than the TS-9.

13. Gigino

Gigino Member

i haven't found a pedal that i like with a DRRI. I tink it is the amp.

14. DrewB

DrewB Member

A Tubescreamer is the wrong tool to use with a Les Paul. That guitar already has all the mids you need. A Tubescreamer has a prominent midrange hump, which is why it's a good cure for a Strat's scooped mids. If you have to get your dirt from a pedal, you need something more neutral that won't grossly change the frequency response your guitar and amp are putting out. As to which particular box is the one to get, that comes down to your own preference. The Blues Driver was mentioned, and that seems to work pretty well with Fender amps and Les Pauls, from my experience. Personally, I always prefer to get my overdriven sounds from my amps and clean the sound up from the guitar's volume controls. You're working at it from the opposite direction, though, so your situation is more difficult, IMO. Good luck with it!

15. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I, too, am happy with my new Les Paul just into an compressor ("lightly seasoned") into a tube amp. In my case, the comp. is off for rythym, on for lead. Why not just surrender to the obvious - like Dorothy, everything you've always wanted is right here in your own back yard. ;)

16. auffredou

auffredou Member

fwiw, i used to have an OD-1, which was worth more than I thought. I never liked it, so I sold it recently.

Also, will having P90 type pickups make a difference?

17. scottlr

scottlr Member

Before I spent a single dollar, I'd try turing down the amount of OD on the OD pedal. I hear so many guys that crank it all the way up and to me, that gets real muddy. Just a thought.

18. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder Gold Supporting Member

The Bad Monkey is much more versatile and with a greater range of guitars than most Tubescreamers.
    The EQ on them is unbelieveable with very wide parameters.
    They go from a very clean solid boost to a lot of overdrive.

You can dial in a nice slight OD on them too.
    A majority of pedals respond better to single coils (Strats) than humbucking guitars.

An OCD is nice with LP's.

19. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

What kind of lead tone are you looking for? Is there an example you could cite that comes close?

20. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Sounds like you need more clarity and a little cut.
    So,
    There are a lot of things you can do to experiment:
    • Try some non-TS-type pedals
    • Try without Comp on OD
    • Pickup swap, stock Gibby pups have some limitations and to me are very dark and muffled like a blanket over the speaker effect. Especially if they are the 490/498 set.