Question about my new Les Paul

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DetSlicker, Jul 1, 2008.

1. DetSlicker

DetSlicker Member

OK, not my first Gibson or Lp but it's my first Gibson LP (desert burst standard). Couldn't be happier with it but one thing puzzles/troubles me. When I have the toggle in the middle position, 1 pup volume on 10, and the other on 0 (makes no difference which is on or off), I get no signal. If I roll the one on 0 to 1 or just over, the other pup plays at about 50% volume. If I roll it up to 3 or 4, the other pup seems to play at full volume. This doesn't bug me really because now I can not only toggle a pup on and off, but I can toggle between 50% and full volume with no rolling, but it doesn't seem "normal". Is it? Is this why so many seem to rewire or install new electronics and more importantly, is it something for me to worry about. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Nothing to worry about, that's how it works.

Play it in good health and enjoy!

3. DavidH

DavidH Member

Yeah it's normal.And for future reference,you should never post about your new guitar without pics,it's terribly bad form don't you know.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Google Les Paul wiring. There are a variety of ways to wire Les Paul pickups (any 2 humbuckers with 2 volume controls). Alternate wirings won't behave that way.

5. Birddog

Birddog Member

My DB Standard does the same thing...the first few times I gigged with it, it was "fun with volume control!"....

Nothing to worry about, you'll get used to it.

6. jimfear

jimfear Silver Supporting Member

As mentioned, no worries, it's normal. It allows you to blend the two pickups to your tonal preference.