Question about Pedal order and buffer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Suarkttam, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Suarkttam

Suarkttam Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I am only about 8 months into my first pedal board. (this is the third incarnation), and while I am thrilled with the sound and feel I've settled in on the pedals, I am not totally familiar with the order I should have them in AND where a possible buffer pedal should be placed should I add one. This is how I have my pedals configured right now, and I'm going to wire it all up soon.

The signal path would be as follows:

Silver Machine MKII Wah > Subdecay Proteus > Polytune > Spaceman Effects Gemini III > VFE Distortion3 > Sereo WET > VFE Blueprint > Boss RC-3

Like I said, my question is two parts. 1) Is that a good signal path order (and if not what/why should (it) be different. 2) If I were to place a buffer pedal in the chain, where should it go. I keep reading that it shouldn't go before a Fuzz. (but I'm not totally clear why)

Thank you very much for any info. I have to believe this is a better place to ask than someone behind the counter at GC looking to sell me something.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

A "good" signal path is one that sounds "good" to YOUR ears. Sure...there's some tried & true formulas...but the best way to find out is to experiment.

Now the "general" rule for the Entire Chain is something like:
    Guitar
    Compression
    Equalization
    Wah/Pitch Shift
    Distortion
    Modulation
    Delay
    Reverb

.......but things change depending on By-Pass capability, Buffer needs, and how the amp "reacts". Bottom line; Don't be a Lemming.....!

3. jb4674

jb4674 Member

So I have a couple of questions...:

1. Why do you think you need a buffer? (Give me an honest and technical answer, and don't say something like "well, my friend said I needed one")

2. Are you satisfied with the sound of the chain as it is right now? If the answer is yes, then there's no need to change it.

If I were to change anything, I'd simply put the tuner before the wah, followed by dirt boxes, delays and modulation pedals. The RC-3 can stay at the end of the chain. Remember, there's no right or wrong way of approaching a signal chain. If you like how it sounds, then consider it done :)

4. Suarkttam

To answer the question about why I need a buffer. It is mostly because I started reading about buffers, and did the test of playing through the chain and playing direct into the amp, and I really did feel that the tone was not quite as "round" or "deep" through the chain. And also, I wasn't sure if a buffer would help clean up the sound of the played back loops which don't sound as full as when they are played originally.

5. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

buy a This1smyne mini Buffer for $40, and find out.

and yes, IMO, it will help.

yeah, your pedal order looks fine, too.

6. Suarkttam

Thank you so much for the lead on that buffer. I'm wondering if I could ask you what the rules are regarding where it should be placed in the chain.

7. Suarkttam

bump for any other input

8. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

There are no rules.

I like it first in the chain (guitar---->buffer).

any non-buffered pedals between the buffer and guitar are going to "degrade"(I use that term loosely) the signal.

some pedals supposedly react negatively if they receive a buffered signal, but I haven't found one yet.

Just buy the thing, and try it in every spot. It's not going to hurt anything.

9. Suarkttam

Thank you. Already purchased. Looking forward to experimenting.